What's new

Victoria & Abdul - September 2017 (1 Viewer)

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I didn't know anything about this film, and the trailer came across my Facebook timeline. I viewed it and thought "oh wow, this looks like a great Judi Dench movie". The story looked interesting, and I love good character performances.

Me, being a bit of a history dullard, didn't know anything about the monarch of the time, relationships to other countries etc. When I followed the source of the trailer, some of the comments on the page were - to say the least- quite angry.

Here's the trailer:

If the comments are any indication, this film will be controversial. The film will also be showing at TIFF this year, and I may see it there.

Curious what people have to say about this film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Watched this last night and mostly enjoyed it. Certainly not a "glamour" role for Dench, but she was great, as always.

I was a bit surprised that though Victoria seemed to care for Abdul, she didn't make any kind of provision for him and his family after her death. She just left him to the whim of the new King (her son), who burned his letters and journals and shipped him back to India.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I also watched it last night. Enjoyed it, I'm sure it's not accurate but it's real fun. It's more fun than you think, you can almost call it a Comedy.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Loved the beginning when the staff rolls her out of bed and gets her ready whether she wants to get up or not. She may be the Queen, but that still doesn't mean she can sleep in. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks