What's new

Switching From Control 4 To ??????? (1 Viewer)

Browns7213

Agent
Real Name
David
I've never been a fan of Control 4 and had Magnolia told me 4-years ago I would have to contact them any time I wanted to make a change in my system I would have said no way. A couple days ago I received an email from Control 4 that with the next IOS update Apple & Android devices can no longer be used to control our home theater and lights. We can upgrade the entire C4 system or stick with what we've got and just use their remote all the time. Their remote is cumbersome when using many of the advanced features especially the lights and TuneIn radio.

So we are thinking about switching it out, but need some advice for a universal system that I can manipulate myself and will work with all my components and lights on the IOS & Android devices. I've seen some of the universal remotes that say they can link up to 277K components, but we have some esoteric equipment and a 4th rate cable system to deal with .

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Logitech Harmony. I think it's the single best choice if you want control.

I have both Harmony for the living room and a custom-installed URC for a theater room. The Harmony is superior to the URC in every way as a user; and the URC programming tool is almost inscrutable to me.

Where the URC is better is that it is an RF remote that can talk to simple IR relays running to dedicated hardware. It's unclear to me if or how to accomplish that with the Harmony. There's also some question about how I'd program the Harmony for arbitrary control of an HTPC.

Long story short: look into the Harmony remotes if you want to install and control it yourself.

Browns7213

Agent
Real Name
David
Logitech Harmony. I think it's the single best choice if you want control.

I have both Harmony for the living room and a custom-installed URC for a theater room. The Harmony is superior to the URC in every way as a user; and the URC programming tool is almost inscrutable to me.

Where the URC is better is that it is an RF remote that can talk to simple IR relays running to dedicated hardware. It's unclear to me if or how to accomplish that with the Harmony. There's also some question about how I'd program the Harmony for arbitrary control of an HTPC.

Long story short: look into the Harmony remotes if you want to install and control it yourself.

Thans Dave! I had read a review about the product before I posted and will look into it further. Do you know if Logitech has a listing somewhere of compatible components?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Browns7213

Agent
Real Name
David
Main page lists broad brand compatibility
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-elite?crid=60

There's the database search for specific hardware
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

I'm told that IR relays like this work with the Harmony line, but I have no personal experience
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OVAPS3Y/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I342OPK7SJYF1L&colid=3HJ7KZ334050V

Thanks Dave! Looks like it will support all, but one of my devices. The app gets pretty terrible reviews over on the app store, but maybe just whiners. Have you tried to use the remote between floors? We have a 2 zone system and having the bluetooth to switch channels or skip tracks away from the main system is probably the only thing I like about the C4.

Robert Spivack

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Spivack
If you are Apple-centric and looking for software solutions (not a physical remote), I would recommend "Simple Control".

It can grow from just an app on your iPhone or iPad to a full blown control system that works with IP-to-IR emitters and a software or hardware hub (separate from your iPhone/iPad) to perform automations, unattended actions, and full remote access.

If you want a full whole-home automation system that is open, programmable, and expandable with lots of 3rd party free "plug-ins" and are willing to use a Mac computer, you should really take a look at Indigo Domotics https://www.indigodomo.com

It is more powerful than Control4 or Crestron when used with appropriate devices and customization (which can all be done by the user).

It started out supporting Insteon, but now has very robust support for Z-wave. Can also be used with many Wi-Fi or IP devices also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks