What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Alien: Covenant -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've got to be honest.

It was with some trepidation, that I began viewing Mr. Scott's latest offering in the (long running, and oft copied) Alien series.

I'd heard some negative comments from people whose opinions I tend to trust.

And now that I've experienced the film, I believe I understand the source of some of those comments.

Alien: Covenant is one of those films that lives both within its own space and time, as well as within our memories of films past.

The problem may have been one of precognitions, as well as self-induced inferences, which somehow clouded what was occurring on screen.

But take the Alien world that we've come to know and cherish, and allow this film to go its own way, telling its own tale, which beautifully, meticulously, and not at all simplistically, moves forward from Prometheus, and one is left with two hours of thoughtful thrills, and terrific entertainment.

More than almost any other filmmaker, Mr. Scott has had the ability to create believable worlds, and populate them with intelligent, believable beings.

And Covenant is no exception.

From a technical perspective, Fox's new 4k Blu-ray, with HDR, and it's audio stream in Dolby Atmos, is a glorious piece of software. Most of you are aware that contrast creates the perception of resolution, and one of the by-products of properly controlled HDR, and its black levels, is added depth and perceived resolution.

The Atmos track is typical for the technology, as it allows pin-point placement of effects.

Even though this film was posted in 2k, one can feel the 4k imagery that might have been.

To me, Alien: Covenant is an extraordinary addition to the Scott Canon, and a welcome 4k release.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I loved the film too. It does indeed look and sound tremendous. As does the newly released 4K Prometheus too.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I watched this yesterday and thought it was a fantastic disc. I'm a little more happy with the movie with this second viewing.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Didn't quite make it thru Covenant last night. The 4K really does look wonderful. I do feel the need to write an open letter to Ridley Scott in spoilers:
Dear Ridley:
Loved Alien Covenant except for that suckass ending. I hear you want to do a couple more but the tepid response to Covenant may prevent that.

Mr. Scott, that is not an option. You will do at least one more. In the next Alien you will take the cattle prod from Alien, juice it up, and shove it straight up David's electronic butt. You will not leave Alien fans dangling with David out having a grand old time.

I trust I have made myself clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks