Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Hopscotch Blu-ray Review
hopscotchtop2-1024x576.jpg

Walter Matthau and Glenda Jackson are deliriously reunited in Ronald Neame’s Hopscotch, a slight but stylish comedy caper film with Matthau at his drollest.

[review]

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks. I've somehow missed this film over the years but it sounds like a can't miss with the cast and storyline. Between this and Philadelphia Story I have two titles already for the Nov B&N sale.

I hope the labels know and appreciate how important and valuable these HTF reviews are. Personally I know I've purchased titles I might not have otherwise due to reading them.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
R.I.P. GLENDA JACKSON
I've been delinquent in catching up to Jackson's films. Watched this one last evening.

HOPSCOTCH (1980) - A very enjoyable Spy thrilled crossed with a Romantic Comedy. Walter Matthau stars as ex-CIA agent Miles Kendig who goes rogue to get back at those who pushed him out of the agency. Fortunately, for the viewers, it drives him into the arms of an ex-lover from his espionage days, Isobel, played by the lovely Glenda Jackson.

It's Matthau's film all the way, but Jackson holds her own and gets to do some counter-intelligence herself own as she toys with a American agent who is trailing her. The scenes between Matthau and Jackson, even those done by phone, are charming and wise. The pair's chemistry is palpable having done HOUSE CALLS together. Jackson adds a touch of class.

Ned Beatty is Kendig's foil as a bumbling CIA Bureau chief who always seems to end up on the losing side of the battle of wits (the shootout scene is hilarious). Herbert Lom has a ball as a Soviet agent. Matthau secured roles for his son David and his step-daughter Lucy Saroyan. He also influenced the classical music backing score. Brian Garfield adapted his novel with Bryan Forbes (who was originally scheduled to direct). Ronald Neame helms the picture and keeps the balance between comedy and action just right. Enough of Garfield's cynical take on the CIA survives the translation to give the film a gentle bite.

Watching this one can't help but feel that this is precisely the kind of movie that is referred to when they say: They don't make 'em like they used to. It's no masterwork, but, it's an unassuming and pleasurable film for grown-ups. You get to see stars like Matthau, Beatty and Jackson strut their stuff on a big canvas with international locations.

Glenda Jackson. Class.

Attachments

• hoppy2.jpg
    hoppy2.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 27

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Glenda said that working with Matthau was a total joy and a high light of her career.
And, it shows. The Producers apparently thought that the role might be too small for Jackson, but she said working with Matthau on HOUSE CALLS was so much fun, she agreed without hesitation.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ironically, Matthau read her name and presented the Best Actress Oscar the night she won for Women in Love. Of course, she wasn't there to accept it; Juliet Mills accepted it for her.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
A thoroughly enjoyable caper, and it’s kind of fun to watch with the edited for TV audio. Both Matthau and Jackson are at the top of their game.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
A thoroughly enjoyable caper, and it’s kind of fun to watch with the edited for TV audio. Both Matthau and Jackson are at the top of their game.
That is a weird DVD extra. Apparently, the Producers appealed the R-Rating but lost. The profanity is pretty mild. Of course, there was no PG-13 then. I'm sure they would have been able to gently edit it to get it if it were available.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I, too, remember hearing Glenda Jackson say that it was a joy to work with Walter Matthau, but I'm trying to remember where I heard the interview because I'd like to hear it again. I know it was a supplemental feature on a DVD or Blu-ray, but can't remember which one. It's not on the Criterion discs for "Women in Love" nor "Sunday, Bloody Sunday". I also can't seem to find it on YouTube. Can anyone help?

Glenda said that working with Matthau was a total joy and a high light of her career.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I, too, remember hearing Glenda Jackson say that it was a joy to work with Walter Matthau, but I'm trying to remember where I heard the interview because I'd like to hear it again. I know it was a supplemental feature on a DVD or Blu-ray, but can't remember which one. It's not on the Criterion discs for "Women in Love" nor "Sunday, Bloody Sunday". I also can't seem to find it on YouTube. Can anyone help?
I think it's in the interview on Popcorn. I just watched it on YouTube this afternoon.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman

I think it's in the interview on Popcorn. I just watched it on YouTube this afternoon.
Thanks so much, Matt! Per your information, I found the interview on YouTube. I'll check it out.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Definitively an enjoyable film.

It's a great cast.

Matthau is great in everything he is in. Always liked Ned Beatty and feel he was not cast in enough films. His performances in Network and Deliverance were on the money.

One of those films you go into without much expectations and end up surprised that you have just seen a brilliant movie.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Matt --
Thanks so much for directing me to that Peter Travers interview with Glenda Jackson on ABC News! That's the very interview that I remember in which she said how much she enjoyed working with Walter Matthau. I'm so glad to have found it again!

By the way, because of your enthusiastic review, as well as those of others, I'm going to pick up the Criterion Blu-ray of "Hopscotch". Looking forward to watching it, as I've never seen it before.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I couldn't believe I hadn't seen that interview with Peter Travers before this afternoon because I revere Glenda Jackson and wanted to see everything she had to say about her movie career. It was a great watch.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
. Always liked Ned Beatty and feel he was not cast in enough films. His performances in Network and Deliverance were on the money.

Beatty is great in the 'shootout' scene. His building, boiling anger as he finds out how Matthau has hoodwinked him (again) and then seeing his place shot up. Busted up a couple of times watching it!

yimitz

Grip
Real Name
Jim
Definitively an enjoyable film.

It's a great cast.

Matthau is great in everything he is in. Always liked Ned Beatty and feel he was not cast in enough films. His performances in Network and Deliverance were on the money.

One of those films you go into without much expectations and end up surprised that you have just seen a brilliant movie.

Back in 1980, my wife and I along with my brother and his wife went to see a different movie and it was sold out. Hopscotch (which none of us had heard of) was starting a few minutes later on one of the other screens and we decided to give it a try. What a nice surprise! It remains one of our favorites all these years later. (And it shows in my choice of avatar.)

The funny thing is, I can't for the life of me recall what movie we actually intended to see.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
It wasn't a huge hit, but it still did about $45M in today's dollars according to The-Numbers. It's doubtful a film like that a film with a 60 year old lead would make even a quarter of that today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.