What's new

VOTE: 10-12 Oscar Nominations; the missing BD's (1 Viewer)

Which of the following would you absolutely purchase as a 2K or 4K BD?

• Total voters

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Cast your votes for any or all of these 8 unreleased BD titles that you would absolutely purchase in a 2K or 4K format.
These selections are representative of the remaining films that received 10-12 Oscar nominations; not wins; which have yet to be seen on BD.
In total, there are truly 10 titles yet to be released; but 2 have been omitted, as they are facing obstacles.
The first omitted title is "Roman Holiday" (1953); as Paramount simply no longer deserves our energies nor attentions; and "Tom Jones" (1963), which is reportedly beyond restoration. Although I sincerely hope to be wrong on that front. BUT for the 8 remaining titles, there is still hope.:)

UPDATED NOTE [8/22/17]: Going My Way (1944) has now been added to the vote. As cited in Post #6,Tony Bensley kindly pointed out that this title belongs to Universal, rather than Paramount; which is excellent news for all.:cool:
UPDATED NOTE [8/22/17]: The Turning Point (1977) has also been added to the vote; as it received 11 nominations.
Thanks to Eric_H for pointing this out in Post #17.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
All. Because I collect all the nominees on Blu, and so I need them all!

I hope at least some of these are on the way... It would be nice...

Reactions: PMF

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I don't understand your short list. There are many more nominated best pictures that haven't been released on Blu-ray. Not included on your list are these actual BP winners:
Broadway Melody (1929)
Cimarron (1931)
The Great Ziegfeld (1936)
The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)
Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
Ordinary People (1980)

And just so you know, Anne of the Thousand Days is out on Blu-ray in Germany.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I think PMF is asking about films that got an amount of nominations in the 10-12 range (not necessarily Best Picture winners), although it still leaves out a number of films not out on Blu-ray in that nomination range.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I thgought "Going My Way" was Universal...
GOING MY WAY (1944) is indeed, owned by Universal, as they own most of the pre 1948 Paramount titles. ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953) is sadly, a different matter, entirely!

In light of this, perhaps Philip might want to consider adding GOING MY WAY to the above Voters list? Universal has indeed, been doing some great Blu-ray restorations lately, which includes some of their Paramount owned titles!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Who owns "Tom Jones" and what is going on with that title and its elements? thank you.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think PMF is asking about films that got an amount of nominations in the 10-12 range (not necessarily Best Picture winners), although it still leaves out a number of films not out on Blu-ray in that nomination range.
Ah, now I get it. I had no idea what the "10-12" signified in the title of the thread!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I like Wilson as a movie, but I think as with almost all of Fox's other 3-strip Technicolor movies, it seems the original negative was thrown away. I'm still hoping for a blu-ray of it, however, in spite of that. I'd probably buy most of these....

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I'm like Wilson as a movie, but I think as with almost all of Fox's other 3-strip Technicolor movies, I think the original negative was thrown away. I'm still hoping for a blu-ray of it, however, in spite of that. I'd probably buy most of these....

Wilson
would look glorious in Technicolor, and I would welcome it whole-heartedly; However, the Fox Archive MOD had a lot of spots, debris and detritus... it would need lots of work, unless it has already been done...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Who owns "Tom Jones" and what is going on with that title and its elements? thank you.

I've read a few posts saying that Criterion will be releasing this, I don't know if some people know this for sure, or it's just speculation.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I didn't vote for Wilson based solely on that rather wretched DVD-R that I reviewed from the Fox Archive collection. With their Technicolor elements gone, what was once vibrant, eye-popping color now looks muted and lackluster on all but a few discs that Fox has attempted to reclaim that vivid look (Leave Her to Heaven, The Gang's All Here, a couple of Tyrone Power dramas), even though one knows they're not "quite right." They make me sad to think about what's been lost.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Two comments:

1. "Anne of the Thousand Days" was released on Blu-Ray in Germany in 2014. I own a copy (PQ isn't great).
2. "The Turning Point" (11 nominations and no wins) was released on Blu-Ray in Europe a few years ago as well.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Sergeant York and Pride Of The Yankees would be the two from that list I want (and Going My Way, since that should apparently be on it)! Question, though: I thought Pride Of The Yankees was a Goldwyn film and not RKO, hence why we have probably not seen it?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sergeant York and Pride Of The Yankees would be the two from that list I want (and Going My Way, since that should apparently be on it)! Question, though: I thought Pride Of The Yankees was a Goldwyn film and not RKO, hence why we have probably not seen it?
It is a Goldwyn film!

There was some talk of them doing a remake of The Pride of the Yankees. I know there is a new book about the making of the original film. If a remake becomes a reality that might help the original get a Blu-ray release.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I thought "Going My Way" was Universal...
That would be nice if it were. I was only going by its origins. But maybe, with luck, it falls into the same circumstances as had the first 5 Marx Brother films; i.e. Paramount to Universal. Let's hope so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks