What's new

Flixster Video Shuts Down (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
If anybody is keeping track, that leaves only 2 UV retailers left - Vudu and FandangoNow...

#moviesanywheresaveus

"As of August 28, 2017, the Flixster Video service will no longer provide code redemption and playback of titles due to circumstances beyond our control related to the unexpected shutdown of a critical vendor. Flixster Video customers will still be able to redeem codes and access their UltraViolet video collections by linking their UltraViolet accounts to VUDU, another UltraViolet retailer. Consumers who have previously linked their UltraViolet accounts to other UltraViolet digital retailers such as FandangoNow will continue to be able to access their video libraries at those retailers."

Last edited:

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
They definitely need to fix the issues they are having with EST. Hopefully someone steps up to the plate. What "Critical Vendor" do they speak of? Flixster is owned by Fandango.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Big issue with this one shutting down... It was the only place to redeem a UHD version of these movies:

UHD Codes affected from Flixster shutting down effective the 28th. Redeem these before the 28th!

UHD: Batman Vs Superman, Criminal, Divergents 1/2/3,
Expendables 1/3U, Ex Machina, God's of Egypt, Harry Potters 5-8, The Hunger Games 1/3/4, I Am Legend, John Wick, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, King Kong, The Last Witch Hunter, Lego Batman Movie, Mechanic Resurrection, Now You see Me 1/2, Sicario

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
They definitely need to fix the issues they are having with EST. Hopefully someone steps up to the plate. What "Critical Vendor" do they speak of? Flixster is owned by Fandango.

I think it's Movies Anywhere that's stepping up to the plate, and that should fix a lot of what ails the current EST market.

One thing I couldn't figure out about the Flixster statement - if they are owned by Fandango then why did they tell people to go to Vudu!?

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It should be noted that what was left of CinemaNow has also finally closed...

Last edited:

SanDiegoDana

Auditioning
Real Name
Dana
Flixster was bought by Fandango

Flixster Video was spun off at that point (as Fandango already had UVVU, they didn't need that part).

It's the spun off part that's failed now. I really want to know which third party vendor it was that caused this.....

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Rovi sold their Rovi Entertainment Store, which operated CinemaNow, Flixster, and the late Target Ticket to Reliance Majestic Holdings in 2013.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Not s
Flixster was bought by Fandango

Flixster Video was spun off at that point (as Fandango already had UVVU, they didn't need that part).

It's the spun off part that's failed now. I really want to know which third party vendor it was that caused this.....
Not sure this is 100% correct. Flixster was previously owned by WB, who sold off Rotten Tomatoes and Flixster to Fandango and retained Flixster Video as a standalone digital retailer [at least in Canada]. WB later debuted WB All Access, which is integrated with Flixster Video [again in Canada]. It appears the US version of Flixster may have been sold off and went under, but no such announcement has been made in Canada.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Now, when redeeming Universal codes on UPHE.com your only choices are FandangoNow or iTunes. I thought FandangoNow did not support disc-to-digital or digital codes included with a disc purchase.....

One of the problems I've had with FandangoNow is that if you have a UV title that is UHD, and FN has the title available in UHD, you only have access to the UHD version, no access to HD or SD, and the title will not be able to be played back on a non-UHD device through the FN app. Even worse, if you contact FN about a disc-to-digital or UV title, they will not assist you in any way because you did not purchase the title through them. At least that's is how they have treated me in the past.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks