What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Prometheus -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ridley Scott's Prometheus, which arrived in 2012, and is the basis for Covenant, was a beautifully mounted production, and was represented by a very high quality Blu-ray.

Now, five years hence, comes Fox's 4k representation of the film, which nicely ties in with Covenant, to make a set.

All that one need know is that that Fox has done a lovely job bring the film to 4k, with nicely applied HDR, which add the impression of a more highly resolved image, and bring blacks, especially skies, to the fore.

For those who don't have this film in their collections, it's essential.

For those that do, the 4k adds enough to the visual equation that an upgrade is in order.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade - Yes!

Highly Recommended

RAH

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I did buy this and watch it. It looks wonderful. Disappointed with no Atmos track given the price premium. It was more then Covenant. So while I think it is a worthy upgrade I would wait until you can get it cheaper.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I did buy this and watch it. It looks wonderful. Disappointed with no Atmos track given the price premium. It was more then Covenant. So while I think it is a worthy upgrade I would wait until you can get it cheaper.

The original mix was Dolby 7.1

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm not going to upgrade at the moment, but when the price drops my resistance may fade.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I am only sorry there has been no agreed standard for 3D in the 4K UHD disc domain. This was a wonderful 3D theatrical experience, (projected from 4K DCP) and the BD is almost as good. Much as I'm looking forward to this (and Convenant) in 4K UHD I will keep the 3D Blu disc for reference.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This was a wonderful 3D theatrical experience, (projected from 4K DCP) and the BD is almost as good.

The 3D DCP would have been 2K -- the theatrical spec only allows for 3D in 2K. I'm sure this is part of the reason that no one has rushed to add 3D to the UHD spec -- there's almost no content being produced at that resolution for 3D. For films that are captured in 4K resolution, the 2D version is sometimes a 4K DCP, while the 3D version comes as a 2K DCP.

The one example that comes to mind is Ang Lee's film Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. Very few theaters played it in the 4K 3D format that he shot it in - the majority of theaters showed it in 2K. For theaters that did show it in 4K and 3D simultaneously, special projectors had to be used, running a special server playing a custom video format.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Much as I'm looking forward to this (and Convenant) in 4K UHD I will keep the 3D Blu disc for reference.

As will I. I found the UHD edition a bit too "flourescent" and it took away from the mood of the movie for me. Plus, I couldn't help but keep noticing what was missing watching it in 2D. The 3D version is the keeper. (Not to mention the fact that it is the only movie in the entire "Alien" series that is in 3D, leaving even less cause to trade-up for.)

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
The 3D DCP would have been 2K -- the theatrical spec only allows for 3D in 2K. I'm sure this is part of the reason that no one has rushed to add 3D to the UHD spec -- there's almost no content being produced at that resolution for 3D. For films that are captured in 4K resolution, the 2D version is sometimes a 4K DCP, while the 3D version comes as a 2K DCP.

The one example that comes to mind is Ang Lee's film Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. Very few theaters played it in the 4K 3D format that he shot it in - the majority of theaters showed it in 2K. For theaters that did show it in 4K and 3D simultaneously, special projectors had to be used, running a special server playing a custom video format.

Thanks for this information. Having just watched the 4K/HDR PRometheus disc I am gratfeul for one important thing. I had not set my Panasonic DX900 series monitor (not had much if any run in the States) to the optimum caliubration for Rec.2020 and HDR and a couple of other parmaewters when I glimpsed at the "info data" screen during the viewing. I had never gotten around to seeting it correctly! The correction to full HDR and Rec 2020 from Rec. 709 was extremely interesting. The golden yellow hints in the space suits some interiors and elsewhere which play a significant role in the color palette, along with the blue-y blacks in interiors which Mr Harris mentioned have gone from being a garish neon yellow (enjoyable in tis own way) with the lower color spacing, to far more "beautiful" and subtle with Rec.2020. And general dynamic range allows far more brightness (the monitor is capable of 900 to 1000 nits and has very near pitch black). I have been eyeing off the latest CES 2017 Panny 950 series OLED but Panny, along with Sony and LG and everyone else has abandoned 3D for all its OLED sets. So for the indefinite future I will stick with this Premium 2016 LED model (with 510 backlight panels ) which does do 3D until Panny itself decides the reintrodluce 3D to their premium range. The industry really is trying to kill off 3D. Such a damnable shame.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks to Mike Frezon, I was able to find a copy at my local Walmart for $19.96!
Hail, Hail, Frezonia ...
duck_soup16_1.jpg

Land of the nearly Free ! :drum:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks