What's new

Protecting ceiling speakers during remodel (1 Viewer)

mipress

Auditioning
Real Name
micP
Hello,
We will be remodeling our kitchen and I'd like to protect my in-ceiling speakers:
1) kitchen speaker
2) HT speakers (outside the kitchen but still susceptible to dust)

The kitchen speaker won't be used for 4-6 weeks. I was thinking of adding a layer of plastic or newspaper between the grille and the speaker.

The HT speakers will be in use in the evening so I can't protect those speakers with paper/plastic.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
If they are not being used - how hard would it be to un-install them?

Take them down and store them someplace where construction is not happening. Leaving a couple of holes in the ceiling until the construction is finished.

Unplug the other end of the speaker wire from whatever amp/receiver they are attached to as well...

When the construction is finished - get them out of storage and put them back...

If you don't want to do that - then your plastic trick should work as well....

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
I guess it depends on the speaker. Does it have a port in the back you need to worry about? I'm assuming it's a real pain to remove them or you would simply do that right?

First, a little dust isn't going to ruin your speakers. BUT, you should still protect them. If you can remove the grills and access the speaker, then some plastic wrap and masking tape will probably do the job. Just make sure the back of the speaker doesn't have any open areas like ports or whatever that would allow the dust from the remodel to get in them. A little dust won't do anything (although as a maniac about cleanliness I know it affect ME..lol...ot doesn't affect the sound) but a LOT of dust and debris can cause problems.

As far as the ones in the living room, get yourself a roll of that "low tack" masking tape like 3M "Delicate Surface" tape and use that along with some light plastic tarp to cover the rears during the day.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks