What's new

4K TV for gaming PC? (1 Viewer)

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
I'm going to be investing in a new high end gaming PC very soon and I'd like to have it connected to a 4K TV to replace my Xbox, rather than a traditional PC with a monitor and all. I'll be looking for a TV in the 60-65" range.

I will mostly be using it for gaming, but I will also be watching regular cable TV and streaming some netflix, I don't really do the bluray thing anymore. I care more about how games look than movies look.

I want to get a TV with high dynamic range. Apart from that, what else should I look for in a 4K tv, that will make sure it will work well with a PC? I read that some TVs have a "PC Mode", is that all I really need?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Personally I think the PC -> Big TV connection sucks. Using mouse and keyboard is still required for tons of stuff and is no fun from the couch. YMMV.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
You may want to look closely at a suitable graphics card which can handle 4K resolution straight out of the box.

If you're playing a lot of video games, you might want to know whether your main games are run at a native 4K resolution and how hard are they hitting the graphics card hardware. I don't know how to find this type of information, other than checking out gaming message board forums (or sub-forums) which have an emphasis on computer hardware.

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Yes I will definitely need a good video card for 4K gaming. To begin with I will be sticking to HD resolutions and I'm hoping a 4K TV will work good for that too. Seems to work good for HD movies and TV. After I get the TV I will start saving up for a powerful video card too.. Who knows by the time i get the funds together the next gen of cards might be available. Right now a good video card that can do 4K will cost like $700, so I probably won't be able to afford that for a while. I will be starting off with a Nvidia 1070 card that I'm going to take out of my current PC, so that will be great for 1080p, maybe even 1440 if the TV would support that.

I think I'm also going to hold off and wait until the fall to get the TV, hopefully I'll be able to find a good black friday sale. But I don't want to just get what's on sale per se, I want to find a tv that will be good as a PC monitor also. Just not sure what features really make it good for that.. refresh rate?

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I think I'm also going to hold off and wait until the fall to get the TV, hopefully I'll be able to find a good black friday sale. But I don't want to just get what's on sale per se, I want to find a tv that will be good as a PC monitor also. Just not sure what features really make it good for that.. refresh rate?

If you a really wanting it for gaming I would just go with a big 4K monitor or two... You could get a couple 28" 4K monitors pretty reasonable then you would have a great refresh rate. This is the one I bought for my at home "work" monitor and I love it. and my laptop can drive one so I would bet a decent AMD card could drive two...

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-U28E...F8&qid=1503611722&sr=1-12&keywords=4k+monitor

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
The thing is I want to be able to play on my tv from my sofa, like a console, but with PC quality games rather than a much lower tech Xbox. PC gaming is fine, but the older I get, the less I like it since I have to sit at a PC all day at work and I just don't want to do that anymore when I get home. So I want comfy sofa gaming :) My first idea was to just run a long HDMI cable from my PC to my TV, but I would prefer to have a dedicated game system and I would like to keep my regular PC for regular PC stuff. Might even downsize to a laptop one day.

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Really though, what’s the difference between a 28″ 4K screen half a meter from your face, and a 55″ 4K screen one meter from your face?

The main reason for me is I want to play on my sofa, but I want a better-than-console experience. I sit at a desk in front of a PC all day long, I don't want to come home and do the same thing. I’m not a competitive gamer that needs a keyboard and mouse, I’m fine using a controller. I have a long HDMI cable going to my current PC to my TV and I use the newer bluetooth Xbox One S controller, works great for me but it’s kind of inconvenient walking over to the PC, starting a game, walking back to the sofa, getting up and walking back again to switch games, etc. Plus some games (looking at you Destiny 2) don't allow you to specify which monitor you want to play on, so you have to go into your settings and change your primary screen.

I was planning to build a dedicated gaming system and thought it would be cool to have a nice new 4K TV to match. We were looking at some this weekend, but the one I wanted wasn’t on sale of course. I’ll keep checking though. I’d like to get the TV first and maybe wait till next year to build the PC. My TV budget is around $700 and there seem to be some pretty good options in the 55" range. 5" smaller than my 60" plasma, but I'll live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks