What's new

The Towering Inferno (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
9353978_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

I am watching this one for the very first time. I been hearing for years how good this one is... glad to be finally able to watch it. I am watching the Blu-ray release. This one has a lot of big names in it!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw it for the first time last year and loved it. I watched a lot of the major disaster movies and that one just hit all the right notes for me. That part where they were sending people to the next building in a chair...you couldn't pay me enough.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
9353978_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

I am watching this one for the very first time. I been hearing for years how good this one is... glad to be finally able to watch it. I am watching the Blu-ray release. This one has a lot of big names in it!

The recent Chinese re-make in 3-D was far superior. It was called OUT OF INFERNO. I did however enjoy THE TOWERING INFERNO when I saw it many times on a giant curved 75 ft screen in 70mm.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I saw it at the movies when I was 10 years old along with Earthquake the same year and have been hooked on Disaster movies ever since.

Don't think I ever realized they both came out the same year.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I think The Towering Inferno is the "best" out of the Big Three, although I still love The Poseidon Adventure for its cheesiness (and Shelly Winters and "The Morning After"). I think I'd like Earthquake better seeing it in a theater with Sensurround. Speaking of which, has anyone here seen Rollercoaster? I seem to think that was in Sensurround also.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I saw Poseidon Adventure at the movies too. Might be the first or second movie my parents took me to see, I was 8.

Earthquake in Sensurround was amazing.
Saw Rollercoaster to in Sensurround. Not a good movie though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My first viewing of The Towering Inferno was Christmas Day, 1974. After Christmas dinner, I along with some siblings and cousins piled into two cars to see this film and it was my first viewing of any film in a movie theater on Christmas Day. That night will always be a pleasant memory of mine from my youth . A very entertaining movie seeing the two rivals McQueen and Newman sharing the big screen.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Well.. this one sure brought up a little bit of a discussion. I definitely enjoyed the film... but I was somehow expecting more from it. I think after hearing about it for years... and seeing all the big names that is in it... my expectations got a little too high. I found it to be a little slow in some parts and it really has a '70s feel to it. Not that it is a bad thing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well.. this one sure brought up a little bit of a discussion. I definitely enjoyed the film... but I was somehow expecting more from it. I think after hearing about it for years... and seeing all the big names that is in it... my expectations got a little too high. I found it to be a little slow in some parts and it really has a '70s feel to it. Not that it is a bad thing.
Your reaction isn't surprising as I've read similar responses from so many HTF members over the years about too many classic films to name. Hell, I read similar comments from people seeing current films for the first time like La La Land just to name one example.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have a sentimental attachment to it as well. It was the first movie that I ever reviewed professionally.

Cool! I think my first DVD review was "Armageddon".

Alas, my original early 1999 review no longer exists. It was such a brief - and IMO crappy - review that I later went back and redid it.

Too bad - I wish I still had access to the original crummy review! :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I saw it at the movies when I was 10 years old along with Earthquake the same year and have been hooked on Disaster movies ever since.

Don't think I ever realized they both came out the same year.

You probably realized it in 1974... ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think The Towering Inferno is the "best" out of the Big Three, although I still love The Poseidon Adventure for its cheesiness (and Shelly Winters and "The Morning After"). I think I'd like Earthquake better seeing it in a theater with Sensurround. Speaking of which, has anyone here seen Rollercoaster? I seem to think that was in Sensurround also.

It was.

I saw "Rollercoaster" as a kid and again as an adult. It's not especially good.

I remember I was disappointed when it originally came out because nothing "exciting" happened at the scenes shot at VA's Kings Dominion. KD was a new park at the time and I was jazzed to see big action at my semi-local park, but nothing blowed up there! :oops:

"Rollercoaster" is more a thriller than a true disaster movie, which is the other reason it didn't work for me as a kid...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also seeing it in a theater on a huge screen I'm sure made it a more enjoyable experience.

Seeing it at home could never replicate that experience.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What kind of display did you watch this on?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks