What's new

WAC: Releasing The Sea Wolf (1941) October 10th (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another title, I've been waiting for 20 years to get on video disc. Furthermore, not the cut version either. What a great film with Edward G. Robinson and John Garfield at their best. Ida Lupino was excellent too.

NEW 2017 4K Scan from original nitrate elements. Restored to its original theatrical length for the first time in over 75 years!

THE SEA WOLF (1941)

100:00

DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English; English SDH ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME BLACK & WHITE BD 50 Special Features: Screen Directors Playhouse broadcast of 2/3/1950 featuring Edward G. Robinson and Michael Curtiz; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Jack London's novel The Sea Wolf had it all: action, mystery and widespread popularity. But Jack Warner, claiming the title was too similar to the studio's The Sea Hawk, wanted to give the 1941 film version something else: a new name. Producer Henry Blanke resisted, saying it would be "a detriment to the box office...(like changing) Gone With the Wind to Molly From the South." As film fans know, Molly stayed in the South and the haunting nautical adventure took a big bite out of the box office, becoming one of the top moneymakers of 1940-41.

Edward G. Robinson and a superb cast are the hands on deck for this voyage into nightmare. Robinson is Captain Wolf Larsen, a hell-bent seadog who ranks with Moby Dick's Ahab and Mutiny on the Bounty's Captain Bligh. Doom is the mad seafarer's fog-shrouded port of call...and he intends to take a roughneck recruit (John Garfield), two castaways (Ida Lupino and Alexander Knox) and his crew (including Gene Lockhart and Barry Fitzgerald) with him. Adventure - and eerie suspense - ahoy! The Sea Wolf was such a box-office hit that it was given a national theatrical reissue in 1947, but to do so, the film was cut to a length of 86 minutes, and remained that length for 70 years. Long thought to exist only in substandard form, Warner Bros. is proud to present this film as first released in 1941, restoring its original 100-minute running time from 35mm nitrate elements.

Last edited:

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
FB_IMG_1505778619642.jpg

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'm in also. This movie regularly came up in the chats with WHV and elements were always a stumbling block. So glad they kept looking. Between this and the recently rediscovered ONEG for Philly Story I wonder what else has been found in their vaults?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I originally read the announcement as "The Sea Hawk", and got super excited, but I will settle for "The Sea Wolf" as that's almost as good!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Robert, you forgot to mention Curtiz.

And Korngold! Great release. I think this is the only one I'm ordering from this batch (I'm going to look into Hell On Frisco Bay). This is the kind of film I grew up watching on our little TV in the late fifties/early sixties, that Warner Brothers shield would come up with the Warner theme & you knew you were in for a treat. Hopefully that other early forties Curtiz/Korngold b/w movie with a title starting with, The Sea...won't be too far behind.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
This is astonishing and very welcome news! Immediate sale! Hoping we'll also eventually get The Thing (from Another World), The Big Sky and They Won't Believe Me on domestic Blu from Warner, all of which seem to have been missing-in-action on the format for similar reasons.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of my favorite films has finally made it onto Blu-ray. Hell, I was hoping for a DVD release over the last 20 years. Great acting performances from Edward G., Garfield, Lupino and the rest of that great cast.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
This has got to be the best vintage poster for a film I've ever seen. The piercing eyes on Ida Lupino, John Garfield's worn and weary look and the firm hands of Robinson at the helm. I'm sold on this alone. I can't wait to see this!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This has got to be the best vintage poster for a film I've ever seen. The piercing eyes on Ida Lupino, John Garfield's worn and weary look and the firm hands of Robinson at the helm. I'm sold on this alone. I can't wait to see this!
Ida Lupino was one fine looking woman early in her career. Those eyes of her were a killer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of my favorite films has finally made it onto Blu-ray. Hell, I was hoping for a DVD release over the last 20 years. Great acting performances from Edward G., Garfield, Lupino and the rest of that great cast.
I'm showing some discipline by not ordering this title until it reaches my price point which is $17.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks