What's new

Pre-Order Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71r0P0EIvFL._SL1500_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since it doesn't include that awfull remake then I'm in. Ordered.
Just a heads up but I was looking at this set in Best Buy (they currently have it as an exclusive) and I believe that the sequels are Universal discs and have no special features (the original has all the same features as the other Blu-ray releases though). Scream Factory previously released the sequels which a decent amount of features.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Just a heads up but I was looking at this set in Best Buy (they currently have it as an exclusive) and I believe that the sequels are Universal discs and have no special features (the original has all the same features as the other Blu-ray releases though). Scream Factory previously released the sequels which a decent amount of features.

I never purchased 2 - 4 on Blu. The extras I can live with put. But I do appreciate the heads up, most movies I do enjoy extras.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I never purchased 2 - 4 on Blu. The extras I can live with put. But I do appreciate the heads up, most movies I do enjoy extras.
And the price is certainly right compared to the Scream Factory releases. Just the original movie and one of the Scream Factory sequel discs is more than the cost of all four movies in this set.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There were 4 of these?
Yeah and there was also the Bates Motel pilot from 1987 (?), the remake and the Bates Motel TV series that recently finished.

For what it's worth, I think Psycho II is a very good sequel and Psycho IV: The Beginning has decent performances from Henry Thomas (as a young Norman) and Olivia Hussey (as Mother).

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Have the last three with Perkins on SD but have original on BD, which you should have. I have no need to upgrade for the other three.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Re: the original Psycho, this is obviously a classic & iconic film. There can't be much more said about this - that hasn't already been discussed.

However, what I find really interesting (though not nearly as iconic) are the lesser-known sequels, i.e. Psycho II-IV. A while back, I re-watched these sequels on Blu-ray - and was very impressed:

Re: Psycho II (1983), the idea of Norman Bates being released back into society after 22 years was extremely believable (in some cases, people in real life that are believed to be "rehabilitated" are released in much less time than that). I found the "fish out of water" element to Norman very believable as well; The scene when he walked into the diner for work & you could see/hear the video games in the background truly illustrated how much time had passed since the last film.

I also liked the continuity of having AP & VM (both from the original) great, and linked this film to the first one.

It was interesting to see Crane & her daughter (Meg Tilly) try to drive Norman crazy by making him think his mother was alive, even though he was obviously already halfway there
icon_biggrin.gif

I did find it interesting that Norman himself
didn't actually take anyone out in the film...until the end. Having Miss Spool claim to be Norman's real mother is obviously what set him off. Of course, we didn't find out she wasn't telling the truth until...

Psycho III (1986):

Great film as well, and I liked the continuity between this & II; i.e., it took place only a month after the events in II, and featured some of the same actors (primarily the sherriff).
Having Norman really go off in this film brought things back full circle.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Psycho IV: The Beginning (1990, Made-for-TV movie):

Good film. HT was solid as a young Norman, and OH as his mother was gorgeous; I honestly think she gives VF (in the Bates Motel TV series) a run for her money. This film did give us a lot of insight into why Norman ended up being the way he was re: the way his mother treated him.

CCH Pounder as the radio talk show host was great; I like her in everything I've seen her in. (If you haven't already seen it, check out Bagdad Cafe (1988)).

There were two things about the film I found extremely far-fetched: The fact that Norman was released so soon after he committed the crimes in III (only about 4?! years), and the fact that Norman was married. I'll buy into this since the plot was dependent on having both elements.

However, logically,
it would have worked better to have Norman speaking from a cell in the institution & reflecting back on his past; in the film when Norman was talking to the radio host from his nice, furnished kitchen, I half-expected that it would at some point be revealed that he was imagining his marriage & the fact that he was free, and that it would morph into showing him actually speaking from a padded cell.

That being said, there have been some real-life cases where people have committed horrible crimes & been imprisoned, then released through some kind of loophole, mistake, etc. I can't give you specific examples, but do remember reading about this in the news. In other words, it's not unheard of that this could happen. Plus, Norman's wife worked at the hospital where he was committed. So, though they never came out and said this, it's fairly clear to me that she had something to do with his being released so quickly.

Also, if Norman had been in a cell you wouldn't have had the ending scene where he went back to his old house & destroyed it, thereby supposedly destroying all of the bad memories...Of course, as with all good horror films, it ended on a creepy note - we heard Norman's mothers' voice coming from the basement, strongly implying that there was still the possibility that Norman would snap at some point down the road...

I liked the attention to detail as well; in the flashbacks, the iconic house on the hill was painted & looked new. Whereas in the scenes set during present day, the house was decrepit & run down (as it looked in II & III).

Going along with this, in all three of these sequels, it appeared that they used the same (or very similar) set pieces re: the house & the motel. Very well-done.

In any case, I can honestly say that all three of these sequels are, overall, solid & entertaining films. Obviously, none of them are as iconic as the original 1960 film, but they are worthy successors.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought Psycho II was excellent until the massacre in the coal cellar. Afterwards, it just turned into a slasher film for me (though I did find the irony of the ending appealing). III and IV were of lesser quality and of lesser interest to me.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I hope the uncut version of Psycho gets a North American release. Right now, it's only available from Germany in a box set with the other films, but I already have them and don't want to buy them again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think "Psycho II" is mediocre at best. "Psycho III" is marginally superior. Never saw the 4th one...
Have you seen them lately? Psycho III is just an attempt to make Norman like Jason or Michael Myers. On the other hand, I think Psycho II is pretty good. It has a great score (no mean feat coming off of the original), an excellent cast, nice twists and tries to do its own things rather than stealing from the first movie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Have you seen them lately? Psycho III is just an attempt to make Norman like Jason or Michael Myers. On the other hand, I think Psycho II is pretty good. It has a great score (no mean feat coming off of the original), an excellent cast, nice twists and tries to do its own things rather than stealing from the first movie.

I saw both "II' and "III" when Shout released them in 2013, so I'd call that "lately"! :D

I probably saw "II" in the 80s but I honestly don't recall. Never saw "III" until the 2013 BD.

My reviews, if you're curious:

http://dvdmg.com/psychoii.shtml

http://dvdmg.com/psychoiii.shtml

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Interesting to note:

The novels Psycho II & Psycho House (both by Robert Bloch, who wrote the original Psycho novel) had nothing to do with the 2nd & 3rd films in the franchise. Psycho II is especially interesting, given that it involves the movie industry in Hollywood.

I actually thought both of these novels were superior to any of the filmed sequels, but that's me.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I don't know if this is the cheapest it has been, but Amazon currently has the set for just $12.99. I went ahead and ordered it. I hadn't really been interested in the sequels. I did see 2 and 3 way back in the 1980s, but I've never seen 4. At this price point I figured I might as well complete my collection.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Why is there no mention of the German release of all these films - ALL - including the Van Sant and the ONLY uncut version of Psycho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks