What's new

Oppo UDP 205 vs. Marantz AV8802A (1 Viewer)

MarantzNewb

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hey all!

I have the Marantz AV8802A and just got the Oppo UDP 205. What should I use to decode the audio and video - the Marantz or the Oppo? I'm relatively new to these things. DAC's? I've heard of people setting the receiver to pass-through, setting the Oppo to bitstream, etc. and it's a bit confusing. I want the best and cleanest sound and video for my Atmos system. I'm concerned I'll plug things in, run the sources through a bunch of unnecessary processing, and end up garbled on a OLED 4K / B&W / Def Tech system.

I'm new to setting things like this up - so if I don't make sense, I'll try to clarify :)

Thank you!

A

Last edited:

MarantzNewb

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Bump. Anyone? Just curious what I should use for playback? I suppose I could just watch, listen and decide.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Adam!

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Sorry you haven't gotten an answer yet. I'd answer...but its outside my field of expertise. The only thing I know is that I've got the Oppo 203 and the 205 is the super-duper audio version of that unit. So, you are probably best to start letting the Oppo handle all the processing. [At least that's what I would do!]

If a dialogue doesn't start shortly, I'll check back in and move your thread to a different forum and see if we can drum up some answers for ya! :thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't have that Marantz model nor the Oppo 205 player. I do have the Oppo 203 player and I utilize the two HDMI outputs by connecting one output directly into my OLED65E6P for video and then connecting the second HDMI output from the player into my Yamaha 3060 for audio processing.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think it comes down to personal preference. I don't own either of those pieces of gear, but in my own case I would always elect to let the receiver do the decoding over the player. I feel that a receiver and/or amplifier is going to have better quality DACs and have better audio processing than a player.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hey all!

I have the Marantz AV8802A and just got the Oppo UDP 205. What should I use to decode the audio and video - the Marantz or the Oppo? I'm relatively new to these things. DAC's? I've heard of people setting the receiver to pass-through, setting the Oppo to bitstream, etc. and it's a bit confusing. I want the best and cleanest sound and video for my Atmos system. I'm concerned I'll plug things in, run the sources through a bunch of unnecessary processing, and end up garbled on a OLED 4K / B&W / Def Tech system.

I'm new to setting things like this up - so if I don't make sense, I'll try to clarify :)

Thank you!

A
I have both in my theater. There's no contest here if you are using Audyssey - you need to let the receiver decode multichannel audio by bitstreaming from the Oppo. Your Oppo also has stereo outputs - you can run these separately to an outboard amplifier for stereo listening.

In terms of the DAC's, the Oppo's sabre DAC's are likely on par with what's in the Marantz, assuming you like the ESS SABRE sound. I personally prefer the more neutral AKM's in the Marantz, with my personal experience being that the AV8802A is one of the best DACs i've heard, period.

Short answer: Set your oppo to bitstream for movie content, it's not worth giving up the superior bass management and Audyssey in your Marantz, but feel free to use the onboard DACs for 2 channel and decide what you want.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree with Dave regarding the Audyssey room correction software built into the receiver -- it can really improve multi-channel material. I do not own a Marantz, but have a Denon X3300 AVR which has the higher end Audyssey MultEQ XT32 processing -- fyi, Marantz and Denon are now the same company. The Audyssey processing on the Denon was a noticeable improvement over the MCACC room correction software provided by my previous Pioneer Elite receiver.

For two channel sources, your best bet is to try both the Oppo and the Marantz and see which you prefer, as others have suggested in this thread.

MarantzNewb

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
EXCELLENT!

All - this is exactly what I wanted to know and the right kind of info, thank you! BTW, I have two MM8077 Marantz amplifiers. Given that the sub-woofers have separate amps in addition to these - it means I have channels left over even with Atmos 7.2.4. I may just run the stereo audio balanced out from the Oppo to the extra channels - given my stereo listening happens on B&W speakers in a different room. For stereo, I'll just listen and see what sounds best.

Cheers!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another satisfied customer!

:D

depositphotos_31896451-stock-photo-marketing-concept-customer-satisfaction-on.jpg

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Seems to me if you have the 205, you should leverage the DACS (at least for music), otherwise, why have this specific unit? A lot of extra money for DACS that are not used. I have a similar audio setup (Oppo 95) whereby I have a 7.1 system but have switching setup where if I watch movies, I will let my receiver decode the multi-channel across the seven channels. If I listen to multi-channel music, I will let my Oppo decode the multichannel into 5.1 (my rear speakers are sonically superior for music than the middle di-poles) and have to switch the rear speaker cables (they are banana clipped) with the middle ones. So in the end for music, it is the Oppo (which was manually calibrated with a meter), and for movies, the receiver (which used the Audyssey calibration).

MarantzNewb

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Great point. I think I'll try that out as I have the extra channels. May try to set up "zone 2" for stereo listening using Oppo DACs.

Thank you!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Seems to me if you have the 205, you should leverage the DACS (at least for music), otherwise, why have this specific unit? A lot of extra money for DACS that are not used. I have a similar audio setup (Oppo 95) whereby I have a 7.1 system but have switching setup where if I watch movies, I will let my receiver decode the multi-channel across the seven channels. If I listen to multi-channel music, I will let my Oppo decode the multichannel into 5.1 (my rear speakers are sonically superior for music than the middle di-poles) and have to switch the rear speaker cables (they are banana clipped) with the middle ones. So in the end for music, it is the Oppo (which was manually calibrated with a meter), and for movies, the receiver (which used the Audyssey calibration).
While the DACs in the Oppo are superior to the 203, it's highly debatable whether they are superior to the AV8802A's DACs - my vote would actually go to the Marantz in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks