What's new

"A Ghost Story" (2017) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find a thread on this little indie movie, so I figured I'd start it. The flick made no dent at box offices in July, but it hits Blu-ray in 2 weeks.

C (Casey Affleck) dies in a car accident and haunts the house where his wife M (Rooney Mara) lives.

And that's about it. I looked forward to the movie - it got great reviews - but this may be the slowest film I've ever seen.

This movie includes a five and a half minute scene in which nothing happens other than we watch Rooney Mara eat pie.

"Ghost Story" is for people who think Terrence Malick is too fast-paced and frenetic...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There's some discussion over in the Blu-ray forum in its press release thread: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...e-press-release-a-ghost-story-blu-ray.353507/

But I'll say that I loved Rooney's pie scene. I was transfixed watching her, and watching the ghost watch her. It was such a genuine, real portrait of grief, and it really connected with me. I would give her an Oscar nomination for that role, especially that scene. (No, I'm not being sarcastic, and for the record, I hate Terrence Malik films.)

I think this is one of those films you are either going to absolutely love or really hate, and there does not seem to be much, or any, middle ground. I'm firmly planted in the "absolutely loved it" camp.

This film also has the distinction of being my overall worst in-theater experience ever, because even though I thought the film was sensational, no one else in the theater did, and the chatty women behind me were not shy about loudly voicing their displeasure every couple of minutes for the entire running time. The divisive nature of the film probably contributed to their restlessness and their apparent need to complain about it.

But even though they were hating on it, and not understanding parts of it that seemed perfectly clear to me, they did actually stay for the entire thing and managed to temper the experience for me. (What's worse is that it was senior citizen discount day at that theater, and all of these people were over 60, and you would think that older folks such as them would have enough respect and wisdom to be quiet during a movie. This was behavior I would have expected from younger idiots, not older adults who should be more mature than that.)

I normally love going to the theater, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing this on Blu-ray next week, when I can watch it in peace and quiet.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I hope those 2 first lines was not a huge spoiler!

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
This is one of my favorite films of the year so far. There's an indescribably beautiful, haunting atmosphere to the film. It makes one really ponder change and the passage of time.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
This is one of my favorite films of the year so far. There's an indescribably beautiful, haunting atmosphere to the film. It makes one really ponder change and the passage of time.

And pie - it definitely makes one really really really ponder pie! :laugh:

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Ha ha!! I'm glad I wasn't spoilered about the pie scene beforehand. (I rarely read reviews or comments for films before seeing them.) I kind of enjoyed the progression of thoughts in my head as the scene went on . . .and. . . :lol:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Ha ha!! I'm glad I wasn't spoilered about the pie scene beforehand. (I rarely read reviews or comments for films before seeing them.) I kind of enjoyed the progression of thoughts in my head as the scene went on . . .and. . . :lol:

I'd like to gauge opinions about the movie and place them in a chart.

But what kind of chart should that be??? <_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks