What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Van Helsing -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Stephen Sommers' Van Helsing, seems to be one of those love it or hate it productions.

The 2003 film makes heavy use of digital technology, and works very hard to weave an interrelated tale, making use of Universal's stable of monsters.

I've always found it to be a very good, if not a great film, but there is a standout here, that gets even better in 4k.

And that's Allen Daviau's brilliant recreation of Arthur Edeson and John Mescall's cinematography as seen in the original Frankenstein and Bride of in the early 1930s.

For me, the singular black & white prologue is alone, worth the price of admission.

If you've not experienced Van Helsing, don't let the naysayers frighten you away. It's great fun.

The new 4k release ups image quality, along with an extremely immersive take on the original track, here in DTS:X.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS:X)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade - Yes, especially for audio

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought that title last week when Best Buy was having a 2 for $35 sale. I watched it yesterday afternoon and I agree with you about the presentations. Furthermore, the Frankenstein sequence in black and white at the beginning of the film was great and simply gorgeous in 4K.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Sorry but this is a horrific horror film- not scary at all - but it's fun in some stupid Saturday morning Abbot and Costello cartoon way. But worth spending $$ and watching 15 year old CGI in UHD HDR? To each his own.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I bought that title last week when Best Buy was having a 2 for $35 sale. I watched it yesterday afternoon and I agree with you about the presentations. Furthermore, the Frankenstein sequence in black and white at the beginning of the film was great and simply gorgeous in 4K.
Picked up the Last 4K copy they had at my local BB. I most definitely agree with RAH and you. Just outstanding B&W sequence. Made we wish the whole film had been filmed that way.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
I have always enjoyed this film. Richard Roxburgh makes a great hammy Dracula, and the interpretation of the Frankenstein Monster is also good. Kate Beckinsdale does not hurt the picture. Hugh Jackman is actually the weak point. I've watched this half a dozen times over the years and recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks