What's new

A PEEK AT DOCTOR DOLITTLE (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Had the opportunity to check out the new transfer of Doctor Dolittle, coming in November from Twilight Time. I know the film has a devoted following, usually people who saw it at a tender age. I attended the premiere at the Paramount Theater in Hollywood, and I have never seen so many people at a Hollywood premiere bolt after information. The consensus back then from just about everyone was that it was a bloated, leaden mess. But time is funny, and there are many, including many here, who just love the film. And divorced from its era and compared to today, it's not all that bad anymore. The songs are wonderful, certainly, and then there's the old adage, "they don't make 'em like this anymore."

I bought the German Blu-ray when it came out, and it may be the ugliest and worst Blu-ray in history - faded color and from 35mm. And yet, I read comments from people who thought it was perfectly fine - what those people will think of this new transfer in 4K from the large format negative is anyone's guess - if the German Blu-ray was "perfectly fine" then one would probably have to say that this new transfer is nirvana, the berries, top of the heap, the gold standard. However, knowing these things as I do, some will probably not rave because that's what some do.

I'm raving. This is an amazing transfer - crystal clear, a riot of perfect color and great sound. It's breathtaking to see and funnily when something looks this good it actually helps the enjoyment of the film. And in reality, I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed. And for those who have unconditional love for the movie, well, you will be in heaven. I shall now use the German Blu-ray as a frisbee.

Last edited:

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Looking forward to the disc. As you say Bruce, time can be kind to some movies. What was once considered a dud can now be enjoyed for the fact that the talent on and off screen are so much better than what we get with many current films.

I last saw this film 20-some years ago in a 16mm flat print. Can't wait to see the new disc!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I think they bolted after the Intermission and wouldn't bolt for information.:).
Actually it would not have been as bad as at a screening some years ago of The Greatest Story Ever Told where people set Olympic records heading for the door at Intermission. That's those who managed to say awake!
Will have to get this though as you rightly say, its surprising how time in some cases improves things.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's truly amazing how time is kind to certain films and not to others. 1967 was the year of movies like Bonnie And Clyde and The Graduate and something like Doctor Dolittle seemed irrelevant to what was going on in the world. Today, for me I find The Graduate doesn't hold up very well. What seemed so cool in 1967 comes across as smarmy and condescending today (just speaking for myself Graduate fanboys, don't throw bricks!:)) while Doctor Dolittle is just charming.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
As a devotee of 50s-60s 70mm presentations, I saw this in a theatre on Market Street in hard-ticket presentation in the fall of 1967 as a new resident of the great state of California. The cinematography and sound were wonderful, but I was not so thrilled with the movie itself.

There was an elaborate display in the lobby for Star!, which opened the next spring. Unhappily, I missed that one (it had a very short run), and have never seen it in 70mm.

I will buy this disk of course and we will see what I think of it. Such memories.

Thanks for the peek, haineshisway.

Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Had the opportunity to check out the new transfer of Doctor Dolittle, coming in November from Twilight Time. I know the film has a devoted following, usually people who saw it at a tender age. I attended the premiere at the Paramount Theater in Hollywood, and I have never seen so many people at a Hollywood premiere bolt after information. ....

While many people today bolt on information today ... I was wondering if you might not be referring to an Intermission when the audience might go out to the Lobby to get a 7-Up or get rid of the one they drank during the show ...

maxresdefault.jpg
? ;)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw an original Todd-A0 print a few months ago at the BFI Southbank it looked and sounded great but there was not many patrons in NFT 1.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
This is another movie that gets a lot of coverage in PICTURES AT A REVOLUTION - FIVE MOVIES AND THE BIRTH OF THE NEW HOLLYWOOD that looks at the 5 best picture nominees of 1967. Some of the nonsense that went on making this film and the lengths the studio went to to wine and dine Academy voters is incredible. I love musicals, but I find minimal pleasures in this one - especially the second half. Even when I saw it as a kid I was bored.
I am pleased for those who like it and it is a good example of why old Hollywood died.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Bruce, do you have any information to share about the company performing the 4k scan for Dolittle?
Maybe the same company that worked on the second Patton release?

And are you really sure it is an improvement over the already very good German Blu-ray? OK, just kidding there...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I think they bolted after the Intermission and wouldn't bolt for information.:).
Actually it would not have been as bad as at a screening some years ago of The Greatest Story Ever Told where people set Olympic records heading for the door at Intermission. That's those who managed to say awake! [...]
Regardless of all this corrective "information", I still have decided to "stay".:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
I saw this as a kid and even then recall thinking this was a lackluster production. Not nearly as inspired as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but still some good entertainment: song, dance, story, romance(?), mysteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks