What's new

Connecting a PC to Sony Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Hey folks

I have a Sony STR-DH770 receiver. I'm trying to connect my PC to it, so I can play games on my TV. But, when I switch over to the PC, there's no picture or sound.

My PC recognizes it and I can set it up as a 2nd monitor like normal. If I plug it just right into the TV, it works fine. For some reason, it just won't work with my receiver. My Xbox works fine, everything else works fine.. just not the PC. I can't figure out what's wrong. I thought maybe it was the port I was using, but I tried plugging it in in spots where I have other devices that work fine, and still nothing. It's supposed to be good enough for 4k, or so the manual says, so I don't think it's a resolution issue. Anyone have any idea why it might not be working?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd connect the PC directly to the AVR with no other monitors connected to see if that works. Make sure your set to a commonly supported resolution like 1080p60.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
How are you connecting the PC to the Sony? The Sony requires the same type of audio and video connections that your Xbox and other components have.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Good idea, I tried using only the PC connected. I shut down and rebooted and still nothing. My TV has a little warning box bouncing around that says no signal at first, then when the PC gets up and running it says Invalid Format. But again, it works fine if I plug into the tv directly, just not through the receiver.

I'm using a regular HDMI cable, same as everything else. Both my cable box and my xbox use hdmi. I also tried unplugging them and plugging the PC into their ports, and that didn't do anything either.

I just don't know if it's because the receiver can't support it or if I have something not set right somewhere, my PC graphic settings seem normal, and I can't find any special settings for the receiver. Can't find anything in the manual. My PC graphics card is pretty powerful, it's a Nvidia GTX 1070. It shouldn't have any problems with multiple monitors.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Make sure HDMI Audio engaged and Speaker/Headphone audio is disengaged

GPU-70-Win7-sound-panel-HDMI.png
- Assuming you are using HDMI to connect your PC to your receiver. Also make sure that your receiver is set to the input on your receiver before you turn your computer on :cool:

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
The manual doesn't mention PCs anywhere that I could find. But I assumed if Xbox 1 will work, then the PC should. The reciver has 2 hdmi settings, standard and enhanced. enhanced is supposed to be for 4k. I tried both modes and neither worked. Also I forgot to set my audio so thanks for that... I switched it and the audio is working through the receiver just fine, so I guess it's just a video thing. I tried shutting down and restarting with just the tv connected, I unplugged my monitor. That didn't work either :( When I reboot, I do see a little blip on the screen like it's trying to do somthing, and then it just says invalid format. I thought maybe it was because my plasma tv is too old, but it works if I connect directly to the tv, just not the receiver. I also tried swapping cables around too, and still nothing.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You may want to check the website for your TV to see if there is a display driver for it and install that - also keep in mind you have to set up your monitor in the software
intel-quick-sync-2.jpg

for your video card (even if it is on the motherboard) Downloading the latest drivers for your video card or onboard video chip MIGHT help as well (assuming you haven't already done so ... )

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
I got it working! Turns out, for some reason, it was set to 54 Hertz, I went into the monitory properties and changed it to 60 hertz and now it works :)

Thanks for the replies :) was driving me crazy

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
OK and now here's my next question... how do I get it to have 5.1 or better yet 7.1 sound? Seems to be defaulting to stereo, I don't even have an option for anything else. I go into my Playback Devices menu, click the receiver (says Nvidia High Definition Audio), click configure, and then all that's listed is Stereo. I fired up some games and there's definitely nothing coming from the rear speakers at all. I downloaded the latest drivers for both my video card and my motherboard's sound drivers. Realtek something or other. Didn't seem to help.

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
I don’t know how, or why, but the sound magically started working. I didn’t install anything, change anything, or even reboot my system. I just woke up yesterday morning and when I checked my settings, and it suddenly had options available to select 5.1, 7.1 and Dolby Atmos (what is that?). I swear all it had was plain stereo the night before. Either way, all good now :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don’t know how, or why, but the sound magically started working. I didn’t install anything, change anything, or even reboot my system. I just woke up yesterday morning and when I checked my settings, and it suddenly had options available to select 5.1, 7.1 and Dolby Atmos (what is that?). I swear all it had was plain stereo the night before. Either way, all good now :)
barry-manilow-its-a-miracle-bell.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks