What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Fish Called Wanda -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Like most Arrow releases, A Fish Called Wanda, is a quality affair.

Director Charles Crichton, worked, early in his career, as an editor, out of London Films, and made the move to directing in the mid-'40s.

I've always felt that his best work, was for Ealing in the late 1940s into the early 1950s, with productions like original Lavender Hill Mob, and Titfield Thunderbolt.

When Ealing shut down, it seems that Crichton had no home. He made a couple of independent productions, but did not come into his own again, until John Cleese involved him in A Fish Called Wanda, which was his final production.

Wanda was a small, low-budget affair, that gained immense popularity, as more than a dozen people found it funny.

What's been missing has been a quality domestic release of the film.

Fortunately, Arrow has come to the fore, with a beautiful new Blu-ray.

While I have no direct information, one of the nice things about sub-licensing, is that, on occasion, deals are made via which the licensee covers the costs of a new 4k scan, allowing the licensor a new asset, usually available for use in other areas.

It's a win-win, which in this case, is a win-win-win, as the home theater fan ends up with a gorgeous Blu-ray.

Tons of extras, and for collectors of slip-covers, a nice new one to add to that collection.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Like the movie and happy Robert talks about The Titfield Thunderbolt because it's one of my favorite films and a big fan of the Ealing productions.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Good to hear, and totally expected from Arrow.

I've also been really getting into the Ealing BDs this year. Have no exact idea why all of a sudden, it's not like the movies are all "new" to me, but somehow they stand up very well in this completely different modern world.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm in-Klined to purchase.
Win-win-when?
Today.:)
BTW, is it true that the entire cast of "Fish" had worked for scale?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics