What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Finally, after decades, E.T. arrives on home video, and the format selected is 4k UHD / HDR!

Great choice.

Especially for a film scanned in 4k.

As I recall this title was originally released in 1982, and was considered problematic, as it caused lines outside of theaters.

The 4k gives us DTS:X, allowing for an extra layer of music rounding out the height channels.

A beautiful 4k, of a film that some consider one of the finest family films ever made.

For those who might be unfamiliar, don't let the family concept frighten you away.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS:X)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
And best of all, they kept the guns and the word "terrorist," so the film appears exactly as it did in 1982 when it made all those pesky lines. I'm still convinced I was conceived the night my parents saw this film.
Do you find yourself craving Coors beer
maxresdefault.jpg

and Reese's Pieces ...;)

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
What do you mean "...after decades" (unless my sarcasm detector is broken)? It's been released on home video many times before. I have a Blu-ray that contains both cuts. I'm pretty sure I once owned it on VHS.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
What do you mean "...after decades" (unless my sarcasm detector is broken)? It's been released on home video many times before. I have a Blu-ray that contains both cuts. I'm pretty sure I once owned it on VHS.
You most certainly do not have both cuts on Blu-ray, unless that was also sarcasm. Spielberg opted to ditch the special edition by the time the Blu-ray came out.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You most certainly do not have both cuts on Blu-ray, unless that was also sarcasm. Spielberg opted to ditch the special edition by the time the Blu-ray came out.
The bluray included in the 4k Package is the same bluray as the previous bluray ... :cool:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The 4K is currently $15 on Amazon or the 4K that includes a soundtrack and cards for $21

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What’s with all these special edition including “cards”? Are there really people who buy a movie for that?
While I didn't buy it, I can understand folks wanting the soundtrack cd. The cards, though, I don't get the desire for them.

Reactions: PMF

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
E.T. and The Bridge on the River Kwai are the types of titles that make upgrading to 4k tempting. I wasn't born until the year after it came out, so my first experience with E.T. was on home video at the end of the 1980s with those green-topped tapes when it first came out. I never dreamed that there'd be discs with resolution comparable to 35mm in the palms of our hands 3 decades later. The dream of movie theater-quality picture and sound in the home is a reality. Now that's something to phone home about.

B-ROLL, you raise an interesting point about whether seeing people (or extra-terrestrials, as the case may be) eating candy and drinking beer has an effect on people's behavior. I've wondered about that for years. A joint study by Duke and UNC, which are both near where I grew up (and the former used to be my father's employer) tried to find the answer to that question.

600.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks