What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Steven Speilberg’s follow-up to the highly successful Jaws, solidified him as an important voice in movies and was another home run at the box office (not quite the business of his previous film, but enough to rescue its studio, Columbia Pictures, from financial ruin). The film has never looked better in this new 4K restoration.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Released: 14 Dec 1977
Rated: PG
Runtime: 137 min

Director: Steven Spielberg
Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi

Cast: Richard Dreyfuss, François Truffaut, Teri Garr, Melinda Dillon
Writer(s): Steven Spielberg

Plot: Following an accidental encounter with otherworldly vessels, an ordinary man follows a series of psychic clues to the first scheduled meeting between representatives of Earth and visitors from the cosmos...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This is not HDR?

It's stated in the second sentence of the video portion of my review:
That new digital intermediate was the starting point of this 4K UHD Blu-ray release (which includes all three versions of the film), with some additional color grading applied using HDR10.

And again further down where I discuss contrast:
Contrast also gets a major improvement thanks to HDR, as the film relies heavily on the use of light, and one need only look at the scene in Neary’s truck where he first has contact with an alien spaceship, which bathes the cabin in almost blinding light, yet we can still make out all the imperfections in his dashboard and notes he has taped on it. The opening shots in the Sonora Desert have a similar quality, with more noticeable detail peeking through the violent sandstorm.

stevenoll

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Noll
Todd Erwin

Close Encounters of the Third Kind UHD Review
CE3K_Feat-1024x576.jpg

Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Steven Speilberg's follow-up to the highly successful Jaws, solidified him as an important voice in movies and was another home run at the box office (not quite the business of his previous film, but enough to rescue its studio, Columbia Pictures, from financial ruin). The film has never looked better in this new 4K restoration.

[review]

stevenoll

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Noll
There is an authoring error on the 4K UHD disc for this feature, in that any translation subtitles, such as when Truffaut and Balaban speak French to one another, there will be no subtitles visible on screen. The Blu-ray disc does not have this authoring error.

Do you think there will be a recall to fix this? I assumed it was my player (a Phillips) that didn't display the French translations.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
There is an authoring error on the 4K UHD disc for this feature, in that any translation subtitles, such as when Truffaut and Balaban speak French to one another, there will be no subtitles visible on screen. The Blu-ray disc does not have this authoring error.

Do you think there will be a recall to fix this? I assumed it was my player (a Phillips) that didn't display the French translations.
Not likely....

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I don’t ever recall subtitles when they are speaking French to another.

Screenshots?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just saw the movie in the theater and I am unsure about the subtitle question. I do not remember wondering what the two were saying to each other. That would imply there were subtitles at those moments.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just saw in the theater and at home. Subtitles were in the same places in both instances. Just checked my Vudu copy. Same thing.

I don’t think there is an error.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The opening conversation between Lacombe and Laughlin has always been subtitled.

Neil

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The subtitles are visible when watching the film, but not when the "View from Above" feature is enabled. This is only an issue on the 4K disc, not on the Blu-ray.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The subtitles are visible when watching the film, but not when the "View from Above" feature is enabled. This is only an issue on the 4K disc, not on the Blu-ray.
Ah. So in other words no big deal. ;)

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
The location subtitles "Sonora Desert, Mexico" & "Present Day" right before the Lacombe and Laughlin conversation l believe are "burnt-in". Same with the scene in India. Sony should have kept the conversation subtitles burnt-in or done a better job of having the player generated ones match the burnt-in ones.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Has anyone else experienced this issue? If there is a problem with the 4K disc then I may hold off till it is fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks