What's new

The Apartment (1960) 4K restoration coming from Arrow (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
NEW UK/US TITLE: The Apartment (Limited Edition Blu-ray)

Wilder’s masterpiece now shines like never before in this all-new, 4K-restored edition

Pre-order your copy in the UK: http://bit.ly/2ft1dlg
Our North American pre-order links should be live soon!
Release dates 11/12 December 2017

In 1960, following on from the success of their collaboration on Some Like it Hot, director Billy Wilder (Ace in the Hole, Sunset Boulevard) reteamed with actor Jack Lemmon (The Odd Couple, Glengarry Glen Ross) for what many consider the pinnacle of their respective careers: The Apartment.

C.C. “Bud” Baxter (Lemmon) is a lowly Manhattan office drone with a lucrative sideline in renting out his apartment to adulterous company bosses and their mistresses. When Bud enters into a similar arrangement the firm’s personnel director, J.D. Sheldrake (Fred MacMurray, Double Indemnity), his career prospects begin to look up… and up. But when he discovers that Sheldrake’s mistress is Fran Kubelik (Shirley MacLaine, Irma la Douce), the girl of his dreams, he finds himself forced to choose between his career and the woman he loves…

Winner of five Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, The Apartment features a wealth of Hollywood’s finest talent – on both sides of the camera – at the top of their game. By turns cynical, heart-warming and hilarious, Wilder’s masterpiece now shines like never before in this all-new, 4K-restored edition from Arrow Films.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• Limited Deluxe Edition Blu-ray [3000 copies]
• Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
• Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
• Optional 5.1 remix in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio
• Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary with film producer and historian Bruce Block
• New appreciation of the film and select scene commentary by film historian Philip Kemp
• The Flawed Couple, a new video essay by filmmaker David Cairns on the collaborations between Billy Wilder and Jack Lemmon
• Billy Wilder ABC, an overview by David Cairns on the life and career of the filmmaker, covering his films, collaborators and more
• New interview with actress Hope Holiday
• Inside the Apartment, a half-hour “making-of” featurette from 2007 including interviews with Shirley MacLaine, executive producer Walter Mirisch, and others
• Magic Time: The Art of Jack Lemmon, an archive profile of the actor from 2007
• Original screenplay by Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond (BD-ROM content)
• Theatrical trailer
• Special collector’s packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Ignatius Fitzpatrick
• Collector’s 150-page hardcover book featuring new writing by Neil Sinyard, Kat Ellinger, Travis Crawford and Heather Hyche, generously illustrated with rare stills and behind-the-scenes imagery

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowAcademy/videos/1061691483974181/

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's coming in the US too, so you can remove that "international" banner :)
Which means it's probably going to be Region free or at least play on Region A players which give us an option to import from the UK at a lower price due to exchange rates.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It says it's a 4K restoration, but I suspect this is not going to be a UHD disc. Will this be a UHD release?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, and I want the limited edition, so again, does anyone know where I can preorder it?
Amazon will have it at some point. I wouldn't worry that much about ordering immediately because 3,000 copies at a $40 (or maybe even $50) MSRP of a title that's already been released isn't going to sell out that fast. Don't get me wrong, I think it'll sell out at some point but I don't think it'll be a blink and you miss kind of a thing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah... keep in mind that 3000 copies is the standard run for Twilight Time, and most of their titles stay in print for years before selling out, and there are still plenty that haven't sold out yet. This may sell out at some point but I can't imagine it'll be anywhere in advance of or immediately around the time of the release date.

I think the press release above said U.S. ordering information would be coming soon, so hopefully you'll have some preorder info soon :)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the set from the announcement looks amazing.......so when is the american release going to be announced, but then i keep getting the same nagging feeling.

ok so here is the rant.....
what the hell happened at one point i had hoped things would change at MGM, guess not, if you want a title from them you are getting it from somewhere else, odd that other vendors respect the titles they have more than the parent company,

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
MGM is sadly no longer a functional studio. There is no one working there who has any connection to the company's history or heritage. They are essentially a holding company that seeks to exploit the intellectual property they already hold by licensing remake rights to third parties. They certainly don't care about spending thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to remaster old titles to sell just a few hundred or thousand copies. At least they are willing to let others do the work so that we fans can still have access to these films.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
:( i know, we are lucky that they do have some titles that the other companies are willing to invest the time and money in.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member