What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A new generation of would-be pirates and adventurers hitch their wagons to the tipsy star of Captain Jack Sparrow in the fifth entry in the Disney franchise Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Dispite the 3/5 rating on production in this review I actually saw this in the theater and loved it! I will be purchasing this title on 4K UHD BD this coming Tuesday!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
It had been so long since I had seen the previous installments I was worried I would have a hard time catching up, but it stands alone for the most part so you don't have to be super familiar with the other films. While I agree that Depp's performance has grown stale, My family and I enjoyed it - probably because I went in thinking I was going to dislike it based on theatrical reviews. There were multiple laugh out loud moments for the kids, so it was a great family film to watch. There were several scenes in the opening minutes where the brightness HDR is capable of had us squinting. Like the earlier films, keep watching through the credits!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree with you, Adam, that some familiarity with the series helps but is not essential, and actually the movie might not seem such a rehash of earlier adventures if one has been away from the series for any length of time.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I agree, Adam. This one isn't as reliant on what came before as the others. Yes, it helps to know the relationships and backstory, but I wouldn't consider it crucial. The only time I think it becomes important to know the history is the finale. It was perfect for me.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
For those curious about the digital copy code, I redeemed through DMA, and Vudu shows that I own the UHD version!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Anyone happen to try the 4K disc in a non-4K set-up? I am seeing some disc menu issues that could be my player (Sony X800) or could be the disc authoring.

First off, the disc menu text is extremely mute in brightness such that you literally can’t tell what option you have selected. The BR has no such issues, and the menu text is extremely bright.

Secondly, when you drill down to settings to select the soundtrack, you reach a dead end and can’t back out. The only way back to the main menu is to power cycle the player.

In case you are wondering why I would bother with 4K when I lack a 4K display? Atmos.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Brad here. Is it me or is this 4K Blu getting hard to find at a decent price ($43 on Amazon)?

DMC is not carrying the 4K Blu.

The Bluray is quite easy to find for less than $30 ( as low as $22). Amazon info on Disney is pretty useless. Not sure why DMC isn't listing it yet. Guardians 2 is there and Cars 3 4K preorder is not up.

All in stock
BBY 30 and 35 (Steelbook)
Target $28 ( $22.50 with the instore Cartwheel this week)
Walmart $28
BN $33
Deep Discount 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks