What's new

The Good Doctor: Season One (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This had a very surprising premiere night rating, second only to Young Sheldon in terms of new shows and completely unexpected given Mondays at 10 was a very problematic time slot for ABC last season.

I really enjoyed the pilot episode. If there were a few too many flashback scenes for my taste (with an actor that could only barely pass as the young Freddie Highmore since we've seen Freddie grow up before our eyes all these years), the present-day scenes were very commanding. I was fairly shocked at the blatant prejudice against this young doctor because he was autistic, especially by doctors and learned professionals who hadn't even given him a chance. Are educated, sophisticated people REALLY that close-minded and unwilling to give someone with excellent school credentials and a sterling recommendation no possible chance at all (until he pulled off something of a miracle before their eyes)? That part of the episode left a decidedly bitter taste in my mouth.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was turned off by the stupidity of the writing. The various characters who ignored other people's opinions - whether about the main character, or about medical procedures. I expect doctors to be intelligent, and am put off when they act stupid

What did it for me was when a security guard actively barred someone from entering a hospital.

And given the main character's communication difficulties, why wasn't he met at the airport?

Of course they completely ignored how he managed to get through medical school/internship/residency.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it. Something new rather than a standard cop/hospital drama. Probably not going to last long, but it's a start into some new territory. The kid is a bit to much of a "miracle worker", especially with the piece of glass.

I do agree the security guard sequence was ridiculous, maybe it will get better. Some of it was kind of a stretch, but hey, that's TV.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I enjoyed the first episode, but hoping for more in the coming episodes with some better writing.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I watched the pilot and enjoyed it mainly due to Freddy's performance as someone that is autistic.
I hope we don't get a lot of nonsense "Grey's Anatomy" drama.
Could have done without the "screwing me" couple.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Enjoyed it enough to give it another try. I liked HIghmore and always enjoy Richard Schiff. All the other characters kind of left a big hole for me so we'll see what happens.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I was fairly shocked at the blatant prejudice against this young doctor because he was autistic, especially by doctors and learned professionals who hadn't even given him a chance. Are educated, sophisticated people REALLY that close-minded and unwilling to give someone with excellent school credentials and a sterling recommendation no possible chance at all (until he pulled off something of a miracle before their eyes)? That part of the episode left a decidedly bitter taste in my mouth.

This isn't surprising at all.

It happens in any niche where an "alpha" feels threatened (ie. ego, career prospects, status, etc ...) by a johnny-upstart or johnny-come-lately.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Strong second episode. Nice counterpoint from flashback scenes to scenes in the present as the doctor learns from his young experiences.

I really have nothing but contempt for the arrogant doctors over him, however. Not an ounce of compassion for someone struggling to do his best and be what's expected.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Strong second episode. Nice counterpoint from flashback scenes to scenes in the present as the doctor learns from his young experiences.

I really have nothing but contempt for the arrogant doctors over him, however. Not an ounce of compassion for someone struggling to do his best and be what's expected.
I agree, they need to temper that as they need to have somebody besides Highmore and Schiff's characters to like in that show.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I still find that other than Highmore and Schiff most of the other characters are totally bland and unmemorable. This needs to be fixed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The show has been picked up for the full season, the second new show of the season to get a full season pickup.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I watched the pilot and enjoyed it mainly due to Freddy's performance as someone that is autistic.
I hope we don't get a lot of nonsense "Grey's Anatomy" drama.
Could have done without the "screwing me" couple.

"Grey's Anatomy" dropped off my list a long time ago. I was going to record the new season opener, but can only record two shows at a time so it didn't make the cut. :) So much new stuff I want to check out, "Grey's" is getting old and repetitive.

Always over the top and ridiculous, fun, but not so much anymore.

Hoping "The Good Doctor" makes it, being picked up for a full season is a good sign.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
They're slowly fleshing out his backstory and allowing us entry into his relationship with the hospital administrator. We're also learning the "rules" for interacting with him. It's nice that all of this information is being ladled out slowly while the emphasis remains on the various A, B, and C plots each week.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Shaun seems to be speaking up more and trying to assert himself into the conversation which I found very promising. I don't like him being a doormat for the others to trod on.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
"Grey's Anatomy" dropped off my list a long time ago. I was going to record the new season opener, but can only record two shows at a time so it didn't make the cut. :) So much new stuff I want to check out, "Grey's" is getting old and repetitive.

Always over the top and ridiculous, fun, but not so much anymore.

Hoping "The Good Doctor" makes it, being picked up for a full season is a good sign.
I stopped watching Grey’s a couple episodes into season 10, although I had already mostly lost interest and only half paid attention to what was going on after Katherine Heigl quit partway through season 6.

I watched the first episode of Good Doctor and didn’t like it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was very glad that Shaun's potential diagnosis did not prove to be accurate. He's a savant, but he's not infallible or superhuman, and he's already spotted a couple of other almost-impossible-to-detect problems which his watchfulness saved someone's life. Too many of those in a season's time would not be good for the show.

The kid who resembled his brother had a personality that was far too wise and sage for his years. The bond was touching between them, but his giving Shaun advice on his love life and career was pretty ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks