What's new

Criterion.com 24Hr Flash Sale Oct 17 Noon ET (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hope I'm not jumping the gun, but the Criterion.com Fall Flash sale appears to scheduled to start at Noon ET Tuesday.
If this turns out to be a red herring, I sincerely apologize in advance.

PROMO Code -- COOP (case sensitive)

Normally this is slated for 24 hrs though it often ends up lasting a bit longer - a few minutes to several hours depending on demand and if the server crashes enough time (Soccer Penalty Time)

50% off MSRP (not current/normal price) all instock movies -- DVD, BD, Eclipse

Free Shipping at $50. I don't think Criterion has done international orders other than Canada.

New releases included. Preorders almost never are allowed.
Normally items go out of stock and backorders aren't taken, but the last few sales some items return to stock several times.

Criterion Loyalty program -- $50Gift Cert for every cumulative purchase of $500 even if it takes 5 years. In the past those loyal rewards certs are sent via email almost immediately and are eligible for immediate use.

If you are close to $500 and have enough total items, I'd suggest making an order just big enough to qualify for the Loyalty Cert plus FS, then make another $50+ order with the extra money rather than make one large order and then have to wait 6 months for the next flash sale though the GC/Rewards don;t expire. You can load them into your account and the $$$ will be there next sale.

EDIT: It appears they jumped the gun and started early to beat the rush. I randomly checked half dozen items and it appears all the movies are qualifying. I don't think other merchandise ever is included.

Last edited:

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I just placed an order, but something odd happened. It said I had a $10 account credit. I applied it and I appreciate it, but I don't remember what that was for.

The code worked fine for me.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The code just worked and Thanks to David. I am trying his strategy of buying enough to get to $500 and waiting for the gift certificate to buy more in a second batch ...

And it workedI placed a 2nd order :dance:

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just placed an order, but something odd happened. It said I had a $10 account credit. I applied it and I appreciate it, but I don't remember what that was for.

I had one of those once leftover from some Review or signing up fro their Facebook or Twitter though I'm not aware of a promo in the last 12 months. They'll sometimes add a bonus esp if you had a damaged item or delayed order or shipment

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I received a promo email from Criterion informing me of the sale. I just placed an order for Rebecca, The Lodger, and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (just got the DVD of this one). Came to under $55.

Does Criterion charge sales tax?

No sales tax is charged in Michigan, and shipping is free on orders over $50.

You build up credits when you shop at Criterion's online store. After you've purchased so much, you will get a $50 credit. Maybe you had part of that still on your account. I was pleasantly surprised when I received a $50 credit from them during their last sale.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It appears everything was fixed around 12:30. We;ll see tomorrow if they'll add 30 minutes to the end of teh sale.

They often enough have added up to several hours on the backside anyway

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I placed my order about five minutes after you posted the Promo Code without any issues.

It was working around 10:30 for a bit (probably someone was testing it and didn't mean it to go live then) or maybe an intentional Sneak Preview to make people think they were getting away with something . After around 45-60 minutes then they shut it down (the Sale Page wasn't working then), then the Sale Page turned on at Noon, but the code didn't start working again until around 12:30 it started working again.

Of course the pent up anxiety about the non functioning code sent people into an immediate buying frenzy when it came back up not knowing if it was going how long it would be active. Sneaky psychology by those Criterion people if you ask me to jumpstart their customers.

It;s always something with these sales -- it never goes 100% smoothly and part of the charm. At least the servers don't crash constantly like they did with the first few sales. the other thing that seems to have changed over the last 2-3 sales is when items go OOS most of them return before the end. The first few years, once them were gone it was really gone for the sale.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was working around 10:30 for a bit (probably someone was testing it and didn't mean it to go live then) or maybe an intentional Sneak Preview to make people think they were getting away with something sneaky . After around 45-60 minutes then they shut it down (the Sale Page wasn't working then), then the Sale Page turned on at Noon, but the code didn't start working again until around 12:30 it started working again.

Of course the pent up anxiety about the non functioning code sent people into an immediate buying frenzy when it came back up not knowing if it was going how long it would be active. Sneaky psychology by those Criterion people if you ask me to jumpstart their customers.

It;s always something with these sales -- it never goes 100% smoothly and part of the charm. At least the servers don't crash constantly like they did with the first few sales. the other thing that seems to have changed over the last 2-3 sales is when items go OOS most of them return before the end. The first few years, once them were gone it was really gone for the sale.
Yeah, I got lucky that it worked for me as I received my confirmation email at 10:50 a.m. ET.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After the Target fizzle thread, i'm hesitant to start a new thread until the sale is confirmed, but 1st rumor is up of potential Flash Sale starting Tues 2/13 at Noon ET. Most common date is the last Tues of February, but every 3rd year they have changed up just to screw with people (1st 2/14, 4th sale 3/10)

So far just a couple of cryptic Criterion Clues they often drop as breadcrumbs.

The website today moved most current items into a "Ships in 2 Day" listing instead of their normal 1Day.
The Twitter also posted a random pic with a Sale Poster in the background.
Silence of the Lambs and Night of the Living Dead both release tomorrow and the Flash Sale often happens around the bigger releases.

Expect the normal rules:
50% of all instock Movies -- Dvd, BD, Eclipse etc, but not merchandise.
No preorders
Free Shipping at $50+
Loyalty GC are normally emailed immediately and active once you hit a $500 cumulative amt.
Sale Tax NY and KY plus I think WA state now has a state law that makes sales tax mandatory on all online sales

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Shipping now listed as "3 Business Days" so it seems to be set for today.
Once the Discount Code is posted/confirmed I'll make a new thread for this sale so the header won't cause any confusion

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks