What's new

Battle Cry (1955)- coming from WAC 11/14/2017 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
November release:

71oNqEu1NwL._SL1000_.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

NEW 2017 1080p HD MASTER!
BATTLE CRY (1955)
Run Time 148:00
DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English; English SDH
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.55:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
COLOR
BD 50
Special Feature: Theatrical Trailer (HD)

A guitar-picking good ol’ boy. A clean-cut all-American. A Navajo. A bookworm. A lumberjack. A slum kid. All enter Marine boot camp to be trained, hardened and ready to answer their country’s Battle Cry.

Scripted by Leon M. Uris from his own novel, directed by action master Raoul Walsh and starring a who’s who of ’50s movie stars, Battle Cry is an epic ode to World War II Marine heroism and homefront sacrifice, a saga following recruits from boot camp to a New Zealand base of operations to the war they knew would someday come their way: the bloody invasion of Saipan. Enlist now alongside the fighting men and stalwart women of Battle Cry for boisterous tenderness and gung-ho excitement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Too long and sluggish for my tastes, but certainly not an unpopular movie.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
This is one of the few classics that I've been completely baffled by. I seriously thought it was supposed to be an all out action war film before I first watched it. Definitely a misleading title! I'm sure it'll look gorgeous though on bluray.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
This is one of the few classics that I've been completely baffled by. I seriously thought it was supposed to be an all out action war film before I first watched it. Definitely a misleading title! I'm sure it'll look gorgeous though on bluray.

It originally had more battle scenes, but pre-release cutting took care of that. The complete score is out on a 2 CD set. Most of the battle music that Max Steiner wrote and recorded was eliminated with the cutting. Too bad.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
This really needed an upgrade as the DVD transfer left a lot to be desired. I'm not much of a fan of war movies but this one has Dorothy Malone, Anne Francis, Nancy Olson and Mona Freeman in pivotal roles. Can't go wrong there.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

Some of the World War II movies, like this one, try to balance the home-front melodrama with the battle front stuff. They were seemingly trying to get both women and men into the theaters, and imho they balanced it out fairly well, except when it came to the title. Battle Cry as a title sound like an all-out war movie, but that's only about 1/3 of the actual film iirc. In any case, I plan to pick this one up at some point.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Some of the World War II movies, like this one, try to balance the home-front melodrama with the battle front stuff. They were seemingly trying to get both women and men into the theaters, and imho they balanced it out fairly well, except when it came to the title. Battle Cry as a title sound like an all-out war movie, but that's only about 1/3 of the actual film iirc. In any case, I plan to pick this one up at some point.

They weren't going to change the title because "Battle Cry" is the title of the novel the film is adapted from. The screenplay is by Leon Uris, who wrote the novel, and it's generally a faithful adaptation, although the dialogue had to be sanitized or it never would have made it into theaters in 1955.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks