What's new

Which studio/company do you want to co-finance and distribute Bond 25?

• Warner Bros.

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Sony Pictures

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • 20th Century Fox

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Universal Pictures

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Annapurna Pictures

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Apple

• Amazon

• Total voters
Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
Title: Bond 25 (2019)

Genre: Action, Thriller, Adventure

Cast: Daniel Craig, Léa Seydoux, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Whishaw, Naomie Harris, Rory Kinnear, Jeffrey Wright, Rami Malek, Dali Benssalah, Billy Magnussen, Ana de Armas, David Dencik, Lashana Lynch

Release: 2019-10-25

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't really care who partners on the next Bond movie, I just want it to be someone who will encourage the producers to make something that feels like a Bond movie. Or, to be more precise, a classic Bond movie, not these things that have been made for the last 25 years.

Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
What is the current status of United Artists? They did release most of the Bond films.
It's presently dormant, like it used to be in the early 90s. I do wish MGM revives UA as a pet financing/distribution studio to release not only their movies that don't get picked up by other studios, but to (co-)finance, acquire and release large independent movies too, like in UA's glory days. They've already revived Orion Pictures as a standalone distribution company for releasing modest budget movies.

Have no idea why two people voted for Fox though. I know they handle home entertainment distribution of MGM's library, TV shows and select new films, but I don't think they're interested in grabbing the theatrical distribution rights for Bond. And I know Bond was a UA franchise/property, but since it's MGM's biggest crown jewel both for movies and for their current library, I thought WB grabbing the rights would see an even bigger reunion between the MGM brand and its legacy pre-1986 library, so I see them as a perfect fit.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't really care who partners on the next Bond movie,

I don't think it makes a difference which distributor picks it up. It's a financing deal; whoever picks it up will not be getting creative input on the series, so the final product will remain the same whoever gets it.

Real Name
Nate Spidgewood

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not sure what it means. MGM's press release on their website mentions that Creed 2 is in partnership with Warner Bros., so I would suspect at least that sequels to films they made in partnership will still involve their original partner studios. However, it does look like they are moving more into self-distribution for new titles, and they specifically left the Bond distribution "to be announced later," but since Bond is very much their flagship franchise, it wouldn't surprise me much if they wanted to do it themselves.

Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
I'm not sure what it means. MGM's press release on their website mentions that Creed 2 is in partnership with Warner Bros., so I would suspect at least that sequels to films they made in partnership will still involve their original partner studios. However, it does look like they are moving more into self-distribution for new titles, and they specifically left the Bond distribution "to be announced later," but since Bond is very much their flagship franchise, it wouldn't surprise me much if they wanted to do it themselves.
Will Bond 25 still go to any distributor other than Annapurna since it's part of a high-profile big budget franchise (plus, what about WB? Aren't they still in front of the running to secure the rights?), and can WB still market and release Creed 2 worldwide?

Last edited:
Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Look, I'm sure Bond is too large for Annapurna to get their hands on since they mainly produce and/or release small-scale fare, so the scale of the franchise is more suitable for a larger studio like WB. But you've got to be patient.

Wake me up when it arrives.

: )

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The thing is that Annapurna is not the distributor for the partnership announced today. MGM and Annapurna are simply pooling their resources to create a single combined distribution entity, but MGM will view that as self-distributing their films. They will retain autonomy on their own slate, and they will each put things out under their own names and logos. So, if MGM thinks that this new venture has the infrastructure to handle Bond, I could absolutely see them doing it themselves. This is *not* MGM entering into a distribution deal with Annapurna where they would pay Annapurna a distribution fee; it's a new joint venture for both companies to distribute their own films within the same infrastructure.

Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
The thing is that Annapurna is not the distributor for the partnership announced today. MGM and Annapurna are simply pooling their resources to create a single combined distribution entity, but MGM will view that as self-distributing their films. They will retain autonomy on their own slate, and they will each put things out under their own names and logos. So, if MGM thinks that this new venture has the infrastructure to handle Bond, I could absolutely see them doing it themselves. This is *not* MGM entering into a distribution deal with Annapurna where they would pay Annapurna a distribution fee; it's a new joint venture for both companies to distribute their own films within the same infrastructure.
I know that, but what I'm asking is, will Bond 25 still be picked up by any major studio willing to distribute (especially WB), and can WB still market and release Creed 2 worldwide?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think Bond 25 is MGM''s choice. Clearly almost any studio would love to have it, but that depends entirely on what MGM wants to do with it since ultimately it is their IP. As far as Creed, the MGM press release said it would be released in partnership with WB, and that is all the information I've been able to find on that. I suspect this stuff may still be being figued out at the studio level, so there may not be anymore to know at this point.

Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
I think Bond 25 is MGM''s choice. Clearly almost any studio would love to have it, but that depends entirely on what MGM wants to do with it since ultimately it is their IP. As far as Creed, the MGM press release said it would be released in partnership with WB, and that is all the information I've been able to find on that. I suspect this stuff may still be being figued out at the studio level, so there may not be anymore to know at this point.
I recall reading at one point that MGM said they're looking for a more lucrative deal for the Bond film, so I believe they should still talk with WB about mulling the deal.

But, can MGM still collaborate with WB and other studios, even after they formed their joint venture with Annapurna?

(Also, it's said that Creed 2 is in MGM/Annapurna's hands, but since it's being released in partnership with WB, will the latter release it internationally only, or worldwide?)

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I haven't seen anything saying that the partnership with Annapurna has to be exclusive, so yes, I think that MGM would be able to take Bond elsewhere if they chose. Creed remains unclear. As this announcement yesterday was the first mention ever of a release date for Creed 2, and it was buried in the announcement of the new venture, I would think there will be a more formal release coming from WB and MGM about that soon.

It's also worth noting that Wednesday, November 21 is only a few days after the previous Friday, November 16 sees WB launch the Fantastic Beasts sequel. Whether they would want to release two films in that close proximity to each other is an open question (although there would not necessarily be a huge overlap in audience for those properties if they did -- some, of course, but those are clearly going to be marketed differently toward different audience segments anyway.)

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks