What's new

Can my TV be salvaged? (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
So one night my TV works perfectly fine. In the morning it looks like the attached. It's a Sony 65x900c. Two months out of warranty. When I first fired it up there was only one horizontal line, but after turning it back on for a picture there were then 4 lines. There's a local place that will look at it for $10 but I thought I'd get some expert opinions from you guys if it's even worth hauling off to a repair shop.

Attachments

• IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4473.JPG
    IMG_4473.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 159

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I do not know what is wrong with your television, I see you are getting no replies so thought i would offer an opinion, if it’s out of warranty i would let the local shop look at it for ten dollars, see what they say, if they charge too much to fix it then treat yourself to a new TV.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I used to be a BIG Sony fan but since I guess 2000, their quality control appears non-existent. I was one of those that had the SXRD TV and what a fiasco that was. It seems this story and others I have read, Sony hasn't made any improvement.

I would follow Malcolm's advice and if you consider a new set, perhaps stay away from Sony.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
The repair shop guy, via email, said that he thought it might be a screen issue since the lines are vertical and horizontal so he wasn't trying to butter me up to bring it in. Plus, $10 is not much to see if it's just a faulty part. I was just curious if anyone else had seen something like this before. I guess I should have broken down and bought the extended warranty from the shop.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Extended warranties are rarely worth purchasing. You're usually better off taking the money you would spend on one and put it back for possible repairs/replacement. More often than not you'll have the money at the end of the extended warranty period and the product will still be operable. The only ones I recommend are those for accidental damage on laptops/portable computing equipment. And then usually only if someone ~20 or younger is going to use it.

That said... did you purchase the set with a credit card? If so, check with your card vendor as many offer extended warranties automatically for most products purchased with the card. Citibank gives you an automatic 1 year extension on your warranty if you use one of their cards to make such a purchase.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After my experience with LG there is no way that I would not get the extended warranty on large ticket items, especially if the tech is still relatively new, such as OLED sets.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I purchased with my Best Buy card so unfortunately I probably don’t have an extended warranty via the card.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Call Sony customer service. Many times a given model has a known issue and they will do an out of warranty repair. Two friends of mine got out of warranty repairs and an extended warranty from Sony gratis on their SXRDs

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks