What's new

The Mac Mini is just pining for the fjords, it's not dead yet! (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Honestly, if Apple would just put out a new quad core Mac mini, I would buy one. I’m still wanting to put together an HTPC with Plex and a sizable NAS for streaming to Apple TVs in different rooms. I have thought about the current single-core minis and heard they work fine for that but I always like a little extra horsepower.

As an aside, a good friend of mine is the IT administrator for a private school which exclusively uses Macs for all their classrooms and administrative offices and their servers are all quad-core minis. It’s very nice.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So important it's been ignored for three years.

Apple is falling prey to their own marketing. This is a product that doesn't need reinvention to be refreshed. Update with current CPU and IGP and sell for the same price. Done and everyone's happy.

I don't know understand Apple's bipolar behavior with desktop computers.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Which are also part of Apple’s passive-aggressive behavior towards their desktop-buying customers.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
iMacs are fantastic machines but Apple makes (made) far better options for servers. In my opinion, Apple should reshuffle its lineup, drop a couple of redundant product lines (MacBook Air, 13” MacBook and MacBook Pro), and only build the following in two flavors: entry level (still better than almost any Windows machine and good enough for 95% of all users) and Pro (for the 5% who need/want the extra horsepower offered by a top-of-the-line machine).

iMac - 27” 5k
15” MacBook
15” MacBook Pro (pro version only)
Mac Mini
Mac Pro (pro version only)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And without a sub-$1000 entry computer Apple continues to be at risk of “eating its seed corn”. Without a way for the next generation of developers to affordable enter the Apple development ecosystem, they increase risk to their long term success.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Apple has since ~2012 missed two things - there are people who want computers without (attached) monitors for numerous reasons, and they want user modular Macs (like the cheese grater MacPro).

I am hopeful that the Mac Mini successor will cover both. They have explicitly stated that the new MacPro will be modular, unlike the the current trash can MacPro. However, considering that the new iMac Pro will be $5K and up, I could only imagine the price of the new modular MacPro. Thus, I am hoping for a Mac Maxi as a successor to the Mini - fully modular, specifically ability for user swappable HDs (or SSDs), etc. but at prices like the PowerMac or low end cheese grater MacPro rather than the current high end prices.

I need to replace my 2009 Mac Pro, and need expandable internal disk space, but don't want to spend a fortune.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My current Mac mini is a workhorse HTPC device. That's pretty much all it gets used for. I upgraded the internal drive to a 500GB SSD which sped it up considerably. It has plenty of power for every HD (1080p) task I've thrown at it.

But 4K is the future. So, my hope is the next Mac mini will have the ability to drive a 4K display at its native resolution. I think it will need to have dedicated graphics (instead of Intel graphics) to get the job done. I also want enough horsepower to decode (or encode) 4K video in H.265. It doesn't need to be the fastest Mac at such a task, just fast enough to be reasonably efficient. And give me a 1TB internal solid state drive and 16GB of memory. A wireless keyboard and mouse with better range than the current Bluetooth offerings would be nice too.

Put all of that in a Mac mini sized box along with an HDMI port, two USB 3.0 ports, two USB C ports, and a Firewire port or two, and price it at $1499 or less and I'll buy it the very first day it is available for preorder.

Mark

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Apple has since ~2012 missed two things - there are people who want computers without (attached) monitors for numerous reasons, and they want user modular Macs (like the cheese grater MacPro).

Apple hasn't 'missed' anything. They have very specifically chosen not to cater to these markets for various, real to them, reasons. You can be disappointed in that but don't mistake it for ignorance on their part. It's entirely on purpose.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Apple hasn't 'missed' anything. They have very specifically chosen not to cater to these markets for various, real to them, reasons. You can be disappointed in that but don't mistake it for ignorance on their part. It's entirely on purpose.
I agree with that completely - "missed" is the wrong word on my part - they simply decided otherwise. But they did not proceed with an iMac Pro only successor to the trashcan Mac Pro, and specifically said in they interview with Gruber, Panzarino, etc that the new Mac Pro would be "modular". Nor are they replacing the Mac Mini by the iPad (Pro or not) & low end iMac judging by the Cook email. And finally did not leave external monitors to third parties for good.

All these evident new choices tell me Apple changed their mind on the previous ones.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Word. They are very selective on what products they actively pursue. When market forces change that can lead to big product gaps. Also if you aren't in their target market you can get swept up in big changes to strategy, vis Aperture, FCPX, and yes, the Mini,

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm looking at updating my desktop (a 2009 27" iMac) in a year or so. If the future-current Mini has the specs I will probably go that route, but would also be happy with another iMac if its competitive. Who knows what the future holds?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm serious! If you want to pair it with an equally excellent monitor what are your choices in the price range of the delta between a Mac Mini and an iMac? There isn't much out there. 1440p sure but there's like 3 viable 4k monitors on sale all over $1k each. You can go cheaper and get 4k, but then you pick your poison:

No HDR
TN panels
Low refresh
Wrong ports

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'm serious! If you want to pair it with an equally excellent monitor what are your choices in the price range of the delta between a Mac Mini and an iMac? There isn't much out there. 1440p sure but there's like 3 viable 4k monitors on sale all over $1k each. You can go cheaper and get 4k, but then you pick your poison:

No HDR
TN panels
Low refresh
Wrong ports
I think you mean 3 viable 5k, not 4k.

So far as next year's Mini is concerned, Apple has said they are releasing their own external display as well.

That said, I bet it will be cheaper to just buy an iMac rather than a Mini + retina Apple Cinema Display... (granted that's what I'd do if not the even more expensive Mac Pro + retina ACD) - external monitor or bust...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks