What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Apollo 13 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those who might be wondering which 4k UHD releases are the "real" thing, Universal's new release of the two decade old Apollo 13, is a 4k scan from the original camera negative.

The reality of the situation, is that home theater aficionados are actually seeing a more highly resolved image than was projected theatrically.

Everything is perfect here, with a brilliant image and height channels now in evidence via DTS:X.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS:X)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this disc the other day and thought it was excellent. I still think this was a better film than Braveheart and should have won the Best Picture Oscar and thought that Ron Howard was shortchanged not even getting a Director's nomination.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Where might the film have ever been projected in S35?

There were 15/70 blow-ups, but what we have is closer to the original than IMAX screenings.
Sorry, I'm not doubting you, I just don't understand how the film duplication process works, being a layman to the subject. IMDb lists Negative Format: 35mm, Printed film format: 35mm (anamorphic) and 70mm (horizontal) (IMAX DMR blow-up) and 3 Cinematographic Processes: IMAX DMR (2002 re-release), Super 35, and VistaVision (special effects).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sorry, I'm not doubting you, I just don't understand how the film duplication process works, being a layman to the subject. IMDb lists printed film format: 35mm (anamorphic) and 70mm (horizontal) (IMAX DMR blow-up) and 3 Cinematographic Processes: IMAX DMR (2002 re-release), Super 35, and VistaVision (special effects).

In the digital realm, you’re literally viewing the camera negative, as 4k pixels, without focus, shutter, bob & weave, and other problems part of the analog projection world.

Even in IMAX, you’re not seeing 4k, as the prints would have been fourth generation.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It's hard to imagine how "Apollo 13" could look 4 times better than its 20th anniversary BD;
but certainly easy to believe.
The successful reviews of the 4K/UHD releases of "Apollo 13" and "The Bridge on the River Kwai" should now be a source of encouragement for those who've been awaiting the arrival of classic catalog titles.
Now all we need is "The Right Stuff" and "Lawrence of Arabia".

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this disc the other day and thought it was excellent. I still think this was a better film than Braveheart and should have won the Best Picture Oscar and thought that Ron Howard was shortchanged not even getting a Director's nomination.
I could not agree more. That particular Oscar night was one of the bitterest for me in terms of disappointing choices for many of the major awards.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I could not agree more. That particular Oscar night was one of the bitterest for me in terms of disappointing choices for many of the major awards.
That was kind of the beginning of the end for me when it comes to the Oscars. Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan sealed the deal and I never looked back. I might watch the Oscars, but I don't fret over them or watch the program from beginning to end any longer.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
This disc is fascinating in that so many scenes look like a 4k scan - just beautiful. But many scenes lack detail - almost like they are out of focus. The inconsistency is rather annoying but also puzzling.

All told, it's a fantastic disc and I'm thrilled to own it - it just makes me want to smack the camera operator (or whoever was responsible for the bad shots).

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
This disc is fascinating in that so many scenes look like a 4k scan - just beautiful. But many scenes lack detail - almost like they are out of focus. .
Two main reasons: Analogue opticals where you see generational loss and less than optimal focusing during principal photography.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Two main reasons: Analogue opticals where you see generational loss and less than optimal focusing during principal photography.

In certain situations, the better acted take will be selected, allowing focus to drift.

Probably the most obvious being on the tower stairway at the end of Vertigo.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
That was kind of the beginning of the end for me when it comes to the Oscars. Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan sealed the deal and I never looked back. I might watch the Oscars, but I don't fret over them or watch the program from beginning to end any longer.
On the other hand, Spielberg did win Best Director. Definitely well deserved. This alone, was more recognition than Ken Annakin had ever received for "The Longest Day" which went up for Best Picture but, consequently, not for Best Director.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On the other hand, Spielberg did win Best Director. Definitely well deserved. This alone, was more recognition than Ken Annakin had ever received for "The Longest Day" which went up for Best Picture but, consequently, not for Best Director.
In fairness, there were three director credits for The Longest Day. However, I get your point about Spielberg because it would have been shameful if anybody else won that year. The D-Day sequence alone was worth the award.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In fairness, there were three director credits for The Longest Day. However, I get your point about Spielberg because it would have been shameful if anybody else won that year. The D-Day sequence alone was worth the award.
And the 1962 D-Day sequence wasn't too shabby, either. What's nice for me is that the older effort, despite the brilliance of Speilberg, is not obsolete. Both are magnificent achievements. Long live film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks