What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Love with the Proper Stranger -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The early 1960s was a wonderful era for quality black & white cinematography, and Robert Mulligan's Love with the Proper Stranger is a prime example.

Think Hud, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, The Miracle Worker...

Milton Krasner's b&w work, goes back beyond his cinematography for some of the great W.C. Fields productions, while at Universal.

Although he did a myriad of color films, in many formats, his work on films such as A Double Life, All About Eve and the 1950 Monkey Business prove his worth in the field.

Kino's new Blu-ray of this Natalie Wood / Steve McQueen starrer, is based upon a quality master by Paramount, with no major problems to report.

The film, with a score by Elmer Bernstein, was nominated for five Academy Awards.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yep, I thought this film looked great on disc. It was my first time watching this film in its OAR or anamorphic widescreen. The audio commentary is quite good too. I didn't know that Richard Mulligan (Soap TV Show fame) was Robert's younger brother.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What with WAC's upcoming release of "Summer of '42",
this has proven to be a very good season for the works of Robert Mulligan.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yep, I thought this film looked great on disc. It was my first time watching this film in its OAR or anamorphic widescreen. The audio commentary is quite good too. I didn't know that Richard Mulligan (Soap TV Show fame) was Robert's younger brother.

I also did not know that. No resemblance whatever.

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
What with WAC's upcoming release of "Summer of '42",
this has proven to be a very good season for the works of Robert Mulligan.

A cherry on the top would be a release of FEAR STRIKES OUT.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
From Paramount??? Good luck on that one.

I am well aware of the Paramount situation, but Kino seems to have some sort of arrangement with them now, which includes LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER, so who knows?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finally watched this Blu-ray tonight, and other than spotting an early speck or bit of debris, it looked wonderful, and I truly enjoyed seeing this unique dramedy again after an absence of several years.

I didn't listen to the entire commentary, but I did listen to the final two chapters, and it let me know I will want to listen to the whole thing soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks