What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Into the Night -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Landis' Into the Night, while an occasionally fun film, does not stand the test of time. Even less so, thirty years later, when the enormous cast of Hollywood personalities may now longer be known as they were at the time of release.

And that was probably the most interesting factor the film had going for it.

In many ways, this is a more low-rent take on the same theme as After Hours, which was released six months or so later.

The new Blu-ray offered by Shout Factory, as part of their Select label, is a good, but not great transfer. It's billed as a "Restored Master," whatever that is.

Main titles are slightly problematic, along with minor digital anomalies, but never anything untoward.

As with other Select releases, it includes a couple of new featurettes to round out the package.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 3.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
For Michelle Pfeiffer fans, this is an essential film. Actually I prefer it to After Hours. Still, I just might stick with the DVD as your review indicates the transfer is nothing special.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I prefer After Hours but the more titles in HD, the better, as long as a certain quality is maintained then choice is good.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I wouldn't compare it to After Hours, which is more of a dark, Kafkaesque comedy. Into the Night always seemed to me to be a modern (for the time) take on the caper comedy, a la Charade, only with Goldblum in the Hepburn role and Pfeiffer as Grant. It's not a great film, but I think it's consistently entertaining, and there's always something interesting happening around the periphery of the main story. The shifts in tone can be jarring, with it suddenly flipping from silly slapstick to brutal violence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks