What's new

Magnum PI reboot (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
We have to wait and see if the can make Magnum PI reboot work. I had my doubts about Lethal Weapon and initially thought that was a stupid idea till I actually watched the show. But I love that show and at some point want to pick up season one on blu-ray!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Magnum P.I. could certainly slide right into the slot that Hawaii Five-0 is now filling. Trouble is, it's still a big hit for the network. I heard the stars are ready to leave and do other things, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Of course the writing has to be good, but if's the casting they have to hit a home run on which is why Lethal Weapon has become successful as the two leads were cast correctly. If they go with a female Higgins, then I suggest Charity Wakefield.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The intention of Donald Bellisario when he conceived Magnum, was to show three Vietnam Vets who were normal and adjusted in opposition to the trend in the 70's of showing the opposite. This new concept sounds more like The Equalizer than Magnum. But my big question again is why? When you change the format of a show, please just call it something new. The shows they are rebooting now were derivative of older shows already, but we didn't get Surfside 6 1980.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not generally a fan of all these gender-swapped remakes, but I wouldn't mind if this was a quasi-sequel centered around Magnum's daughter, recently out of the military after a few tours in the Middle East, and now Selleck's Magnum is the reclusive seldom seen billionaire with the palatial Hawaiian estate that he hardly ever visits.

If they go with a female Higgins, then I suggest Charity Wakefield.
I still miss "The Player" because of her character. Before she guest starred on one of the "Doctor Who" Christmas Specials, I was hoping they'd build a new "Torchwood" series around her.

The intention of Donald Bellisario when he conceived Magnum, was to show three Vietnam Vets who were normal and adjusted in opposition to the trend in the 70's of showing the opposite. This new concept sounds more like The Equalizer than Magnum.
I don't mind if this version of Magnum has issues adjusting back to civilian life. But it's still got to be a light, fun drama like the original one was in order to work.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I thought Burn Notice was a perfect update of the Magnum, Rockford, Riptide or whatever formula of fun weekly adventures. And I'm fine with other shows in the same vein. I 'm just confused about reboot fever right now.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
For decades there have been rumor after rumor of a big-screen "Magnum" revival, but for various reasons (truth and/or rumor) ranging from Universal getting cold feet at 11th hour (more than once) to legal entanglements involving CBS and other parties, to Tom Selleck holding out for a theatrical movie who's best chance of happening would have been before 1990 - yes, interest in the project temporarily resurged during Selleck's late-90s career revival thanks to recurring role on "Friends", hit movie "In &Out" etc, but a theatrical movie was never much likely to happen. (I still think Selleck should have caved in favor of a TV movie reunion/ new series).
Selleck's lack of major cinematic success or a hit TV series (until "Blue Bloods" in 2010, that is) in the years since "Magnum"s cancellation, combined with the fact he + the role of Thomas Magnum are virtually one in the minds of millions (but that he is now simply too old to take on the role), seem to have been the two biggest factors in Universal and/or CBS' perennial failure - up to now, anyway - in regards to any kind of revival or reboot. Let's face it, it's a 'big' moustache to fill...

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I loved Magnum P.I. as it was one of my favorite TV series of all-time. I'm looking forward to this reboot and hoping it's cast correctly and that the writing is on par with that casting.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Loved Magnum, P.I. but not sure about a reboot particularly if it goes permanently dark although some of my favorite episodes were "dark" but I felt that those were "earned". I've also enjoyed Tom Selleck as Jesse Stone.

Regards,

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I loved Magnum P.I. as it was one of my favorite TV series of all-time. I'm looking forward to this reboot and hoping it's cast correctly and that the writing is on par with that casting.

Unless the original producer(s) and/or creator(s) have some direct involvement or input, or the new writers come up with just the right approach (sth that attracts new fans while honoring the original/ not alienating many older fans), I wouldn't trust it to capture much if any of the spirit of the original (if that's what one wants). Not to mention, we're living in a very different time now..

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Donald Bellisario was the Howard Hawks of television. No one wrote better male roles and camaraderie than he for the small screen. From his early days on Baa Baa Black Sheep and Battlestar Galactica to his current streak of having a least one show he created on the air since 1980, Magnum P.I. I would think his forcible outing from NCIS would indicate the networks are done with him now. A real shame we can't see more of his talents at work on Magnum.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
This is just as tricky as NBC’s attempt to reboot “The Rockford Files” back in 2010. NBC threw a ton of money at the project and early buzz from the trades was very positive. Dermot Mulroney was cast as Rockford, with Beau Bridges as Rocky, and Melissa Sagemiller as Beth Davenport. Alan Tudyk rounded out the cast as Det. Dennis Becker. So ... great cast, right? Test audiences overwhelmingly *hated* the pilot with many just flat stating that nobody could replace James Garner in the starring role.

I’m afraid that CBS will be facing similar obstacles with this project.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unless the original producer(s) and/or creator(s) have some direct involvement or input, or the new writers come up with just the right approach (sth that attracts new fans while honoring the original/ not alienating many older fans), I wouldn't trust it to capture much if any of the spirit of the original (if that's what one wants). Not to mention, we're living in a very different time now..
Maybe not for you, but I think they're aiming to capture a younger audience and will modernize the story to fit today's environment.

I understand the negative vibes coming from fans of this show, but until I see who's cast and some episodes, I am going to remain positive until then.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Starsky and Hutch is also on tabs for a re-boot. Hollywood sure is running out of ideas!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm not generally a fan of all these gender-swapped remakes, but I wouldn't mind if this was a quasi-sequel centered around Magnum's daughter, recently out of the military after a few tours in the Middle East, and now Selleck's Magnum is the reclusive seldom seen billionaire with the palatial Hawaiian estate that he hardly ever visits.
Magnum never impressed me as the kind of guy who'd ever amass any wealth. Today, I think he'd be an aging beach bum (with just enough money).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys-

I accidentally came across a trailer for the rebooted Magnum. Didn’t see a thread on it so I thought I’d post a link to it here. I had no idea they were this far along in actually developing a reboot. Like many of you, I’m a fan of the original. Hard to see new actors in the original roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks