What's new

Concealing Surround and Atmos speakers (1 Viewer)

audiothings

Auditioning
Real Name
Jai
Hello, this is my first post here.

I come from a background of building music studios, and I have built about half a dozen home theatres. Now I have a client who insists that the fabric facade of the side walls and ceiling should be undisturbed and no speakers are to be seen.

In the past, I have always covered the speakers with acoustically transparent grille cloth... so they are not seen, but one can kind of make out that they are there because of the variation in the fabric facade... However the facade fabric that tucks into the 'stretch fabric gripper system' has to be robust to work well, thereby rendering it unsuitable for acoustic transparency.

My client randomly pulled up images of home theatres on google, and sure enough, many of them have monolithic side walls and you cannot even see where the speakers are.

This kind of stumps me. As far as my logical understanding goes, I don't see how a robust facade fabric can be acoustically transparent... would any of you the experienced care to share how one can conceal surround speakers behind a continuous fabric facade without murdering the response of the loudspeakers?

Thank you.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not sure I get it – are you talking about walls that are fabric from floor to ceiling?

In any event:

I don't see how a robust facade fabric can be acoustically transparent...

It can’t be, as you rightly presume. What the pictures don’t tell you is what the system sounds like. At the very least the highs would have to be boosted, which at high levels could blow the tweeters with some speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks