What's new

Yamaha 583 vs Sony 1080 vs Denon? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My old RX-V995 has served me well for 18 years (although the remote kicked the bucket a few years back), but it's starting to get flaky. Costco has the Yamaha 583 on sale for $350, which is tempting me. I'm still 5.1 and not yet 4K, but will get there eventually. The 583 seems like it has the features I'll need for the foreseeable future.

However, a few different websites (among them CNET) really rave about the Sony 1080. It's a bit more at $500, but Black Friday is coming up, so who knows? :) Anyone have any experience with it? Sony has never been my first thought when it comes to receivers, but these reviews are very positive.

Then there's Denon. . .and a Marantz around the same price. . .this is what happens when I don't shop for a receiver for almost two decades!

General recommendations for a sub-$500 receiver with 7.2, Atmos/DTS-X, and 4K pass-through?

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have the Yamaha RX-V675 for 3 years now and not a single issue. But now I just purchased a Sony 4K tv so I will need a new receiver that will pass 4K HDR and my current Yamaha does not pass HDR. I guess I will be looking too for a new one.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I scored a Sony 1080 at an obscenely low price last week. The calibration mic was missing (Sony is sending a replacement), so I haven't done the official calibration yet, but WOW does this thing sound great! I was not expecting a huge difference in sound through the same ol' speakers, but I were mistaken. Even the phantom surround (simulates 7.1 from a 5.1 setup) is really cool. I was thinking about picking up a Denon or Yamaha to compare and returning one, but I'm not going to bother. I'm very pleased with this purchase.

A friend in another state got the Denon 730H, another highly rated receiver (currently around $350), and is considering paying a restocking fee to return it because the user interface is driving him batty.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
2-month update: I have not even bothered to connect the cable box to directly to the TV so I can watch without having the receiver on (the TV is old and doesn't talk to the receiver re: pass-through when the receiver is off). On top of that, my parents have been visiting for 10 days now and, shockingly, have not complained about this once!

Needless to say, the answer to the thread title is clearly "Sony" at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks