What's new

Pre-Order Legend of the Lost (1957) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
151811_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Filmed in Technirama so details about the transfer are more important than usual.

Filmed in Technirama - by Jack Cardiff - so details about the transfer are more important than usual.

Always good to keep a sense of perspective about these matters! :)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
So much talent behind and in front of the camera, but the sum of its parts is so disappointing.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The German Blu-ray is decent and this is an MGM property, so improvements will probably be modest. Still good to have this available in the US. Having watched the Blu-ray I'll say that the cinematography and its star power should warrant a new 4k scan, this is such a beautiful movie. And while it has a flawed story I still found it to be better than expected due to the location and the actors involved.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I’m picking it up. Love this film. Especially the sequences in the Roman ruins. This is the last American film to be shot in Libya, correct?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I also own the import blu of this film. If there is a nice improvement in quality, I'll double dip. As for the film, not one of Duke's best, but certainly watchable. It's hard to not enjoy just about anything he starred in, even with a super silly story like "Legend Of The Lost".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I also own the import blu of this film. If there is a nice improvement in quality, I'll double dip. As for the film, not one of Duke's best, but certainly watchable. It's hard to not enjoy just about anything he starred in, even with a super silly story like "Legend Of The Lost".
I'm double dipping too if the PQ is better and doing so more for Sophia than the Duke.:)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I think it's a fun story, it definitely was an inspiration for that other man wearing a fedora and a flight jacket. If you combine the elements of Secret of the Incas, Valley of the Kings, and this film, you have a verifiable lost Indiana Jones film... :)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
The thing that always bothers me about Legend Of The Lost is the Paul Bonnard character. I won't get into any details for people who have never seen it...but the final act with him is jarring, to say the least.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This was on TV in HD the other day, I recorded it & the picture looks very nice (I had a zip through it), but my god does it have a lot of dirt on the picture, it's like a snow storm on some shots, I hope they've given it a bit of a clean up for the Blu-ray.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
A very nice '50s curio with the serious star power of Sophia Loren and John Wayne...and those phenomenal Roman ruins of ancient Leptis Magna in Libya, one of the most stunning settings for a classic Hollywood film ever seen...birthplace of second century Emperor Septimius Severus...and with a beautiful seaside theatre with a dedication stone to Emperor Trajan...pointed out and read from in the movie by John Wayne himself...
1200px-Leptis_Magna_Theatre.jpg

site_0183_0002-750-0-20151105111756.jpg

1200px-Leptis_Magna_Arch_of_Septimus_Severus.jpg

leptis-magna_3455864a.jpg

leptis.jpg

Libya-Archaeology-Leptis-Magna1.jpg

1024px-Inscription_Theatre_Leptis_Magna_Libya.JPG

1399793474.jpg

MV5BMTE5NjA3MTY0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjczNTM2._V1_.jpg

italian-actress-sophia-loren-with-american-actor-john-wayne-and-picture-id509074637

Last edited:

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Finally got around to watching the Kino release, and I have to admit I see a marked improvement over the German release. Perhaps it’s because I own a better TV than when I watched the import years ago. Whatever the case, Kino did a nice job with this transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks