What's new

Need help deciding which receiver to use. (1 Viewer)

Xplorer400

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry G
I currently have 2 older receivers. Due to only being partially employed (I live in the middle of nowhere) I can not buy a new one to use at this time. Choice #1 is a Sony STR-DA2000Es and choice #2 is a Onkyo TX-SR606. The Sony I bought new many years ago and has served me well, the Onkyo I inherited and belive works also. I have Infinity IL40 fronts, IL10's in the rear, a Entra center, and a B&W 500watt sub. The Sony has no hdmi but optical, and the Onkyo has hdmi inputs and 1 output. My cable is Direct TV high def and a Sony blue ray DVD player. Any help would be much appreciated.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The onkyo. Without question. It has HDMI, supports Dolby True Audio and DTS-HD. And has Audyssey for trying room correction.

Unless none of gear uses HDMI, then it’s whatever you prefer what whatever reason.

That said, I wouldn’t toss the Sony. Onkyo’s have had some HDMI problems and you’ll want to make sure this one is functioning.

Xplorer400

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry G
Well, had no hdmi output to the tv with the Onkyo, so that one's a bust. Hooked up the Sony and have no rear speakers. Looks like I'll be buying a new receiver in the future. Will only be able to spend $500 max, so what would be the best purchase?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Try calling ONKYO at 1-800-229-1687. Your receiver may be one of the ones with a defective HDMI card, meaning you would be eligible either to have it repaired or get a rebate of up to $200 on a new ONKYO receiver. This was the case with my HT-RC460.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks