What's new

High Dynamic Range (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Recently I got an OLED HDR TV and here is my experience.

At the beginning I didn't like it that much. Watched native series on Netflix but it felt too bright and too dark in scenes and distracting. I kind of compared it in my head to 60 frames per second. It's more than 24 fps but it doesn't mean it's good. You know when you first get a TV and it's on vivid and you have to tone it down? That's how I felt about HDR, like it is a glorified vivid option. Well it's not.

Few days passed and I got the time to go and tweak the settings a little. Turn down the contrast and some other stuff. Then after several HDR TV shows I watched my first HDR movie. After the tweaks the picture looked amazing and then I realized I can turn off the lights. I never had projectors and never imagined to turn off the lights because a TV will never look good in total darkness. Anyway it was a revelation. I tried SDR in darkness and it does not look good. It looks good in total darkness if you have both combination of an OLED and HDR.

Anyway if you get an OLED HDR display, first it takes a little while to get used to it and understand it. And the best way to enjoy it is to watch HDR in total darkness. I'm convinced that HDR is no gimmick, this will be the future and I will always try to get HDR first.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
An interesting debate to have I think is, can you compare SDR vs HDR to 24fps vs 60fps?

In the old days, I mean 35mm before digital, can you say those 35mm films projected by a non digital projector, were HDR?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
4K TV without HDR simply isn't a big enough upgrade over 1080p to justify the cost. But 4K *with* HDR is freaking awesome. HDR most definitely is not a gimmick (like 3D TV). HDR truly improves the enjoyment of watching films that have a good HDR encode.

Mark

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
HDR [and its bundled acronym WCG] are the major selling point on UHD at this point, because very few films have been finished in 4K; as well, the apparent increase in resolution simply isn't visible on screens smaller than 55" unless you're a foot away from the screen. Now, when a screen can show a greater degree of contrast and a wider colour range, that is far more apparent than the doubling of pixels in both directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks