What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Summer of '42 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Back in 1971, when Robert Mulligan's Summer of '42 hit theaters, it was a rare take on an adult woman having a brief affair (if one can even call it that), with an innocent teenage boy.

It was all about nostalgia, from the narration by director Mulligan, as Gary Grimes' adult self, to Robert Surtees heavily veiled cinematography, which creates a dream-like vision.

Does the film hold up in 2017? Does it stand the test of time?

I don't believe that it does.

But if viewed in terms of the era in which it was created, with a tip of the hat toward Mr. Mulligan's earlier To Kill a Mockingbird, and his take on an even slightly earlier era, things may come into focus, as to intent.

Want to experience a film that truly stand that test of time. Mockingbird will be the one.

Warner Archive's Blu-ray representation of the film, like their other releases is an extremely high quality affair, especially with Mr. Surtees work, which is a bit difficult reproduce, appearing as it did on film.

Make no mistake.

What you're seeing on Summer of '42 is a proper representation of the film. Do not attempt to adjust your TV.

Summer of '42 is a lovely little film, that exists very much within its own world.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Nostalgic, even in terms of my own nostalgia when having first seen it as a teenager.
This was the kind of film that placed false hopes in guy;
that there would be that older woman this summer or the next.
And, of course, that that older woman would be just like Jennifer O' Neill.

Very glad to see another Oscar nominated work of Robert Surtees made available, along with "Doctor Dolittle".
Of course, these two releases further begs the question as to why there hasn't been a release of "The Bad and The Beautiful" and "King Solomon's Mine"; to which Mr. Surtees received DP Oscars.
Alas, "Summer of '42" also marks the availability of Michel Legrand's haunting Oscar winning theme, now to be heard anew on BD.

Last edited:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Seeing the lovely Jennifer O'Neill is always a delight and the music in this film is some of the most beautiful ever put on film. It's a haunting romance and that always stands the test of time for me -- very much the way SOMEWHERE IN TIME does.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I haven't seen this film in a long, long time. I suspect Mr. Harris may be correct in judging that Summer of '42 does not stand the test of time, but I'm buying this Blu-ray disc anyway! I'm so pleased it's of such high quality.

Reactions: PMF

notmicro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark M
Of course, these two releases further begs the question as to why there hasn't been a release of "The Bad and The Beautiful" and "King Solomon's Mine"; to which Mr. Surtees received DP Oscars.

Amen! I've been panting for these 2 quality productions on Blu for years; since they are both from MGM, there might be a chance of a decent extant source for scanning and restoration.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I first saw this about 2 weeks after getting married. My wife, Nancy, and I had spent a week on Long Beach Island, NJ. LBI looks a great deal like the location of the film.

I could immediately see the limitations of this film, especially in terms of the accurate portrayal of time and place, but it was nevertheless nostalgic and remains so to me.

We have a house on LBI and spend time there every year, which brings the movie's sensibility back to me.

I will be replacing my DVD of this title with the new Blu-ray.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I will be replacing my DVD of this title with the new Blu-ray.
PHOTO_10407846_119137_24808791_ap_320X240.jpg

Most appropriate might be to fill it up with water and throw it off the roof ... ;)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Always love it when RAH reviews a Blu-ray that is one of my favorite films of all time. I might disagree with RAH that Summer of 42 (1971) hasn't held up thru the years as I believe it has (except for one aspect which I won't comment on here for spoiler reasons). The film was made relatively close to the end of WWII (26 years) and the events were depicted 29 years after they occurred. There's no doubting the emotional power of this film, especially for coming-of-age males. Ladies too nowadays could relate, especially those with husbands/boyfriends now serving overseas.

I've kicked my informational thread on this film back up here for one last time. For those not afraid of spoilers for this film, check it out.

Again many thanks to RAH.

Looking forward to RAH's review on the TT release of Gidget (1959).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Always love it when RAH reviews a Blu-ray that is one of my favorite films of all time. I might disagree with RAH that Summer of 42 (1971) hasn't held up thru the years as I believe it has (except for one aspect which I won't comment on here for spoiler reasons). The film was made relatively close to the end of WWII (26 years) and the events were depicted 29 years after they occurred. There's no doubting the emotional power of this film, especially for coming-of-age males. Ladies too nowadays could relate, especially those with husbands/boyfriends now serving overseas.

I've kicked my informational thread on this film back up here for one last time. For those not afraid of spoilers for this film, check it out.

Again many thanks to RAH.

Looking forward to RAH's review on the TT release of Gidget (1959).

Who wouldn’t want Sandra Dee as their sweet, little best friend?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just researched and found that Jennifer O'Neill is in her 9th marriage.
Someone, please, send me a message alert when she's up for marriage number #10.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Sequel Title: "Summer of Social Security":D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks