Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Title: Rampage (2018)

Tagline: Big meets bigger

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Brad Peyton

Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Naomie Harris, Malin Åkerman, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Jake Lacy, Joe Manganiello, Marley Shelton, P. J. Byrne, Demetrius Grosse, Jack Quaid, Breanne Hill, Matt Gerald, Will Yun Lee, Urijah Faber, Bruce Blackshear, Mac Wells, Allyssa Brooke, Stephen Dunlevy, Jason Liles

Release: 2018-04-12

Runtime: 107

Plot: Primatologist Davis Okoye shares an unshakable bond with George, the extraordinarily intelligent, silverback gorilla who has been in his care since birth. But a rogue genetic experiment gone awry mutates this gentle ape into a raging creature of enormous size. To make matters worse, it’s soon discovered there are other similarly altered animals. As these newly created alpha predators tear across North America, destroying everything in their path, Okoye teams with a discredited genetic engineer to secure an antidote, fighting his way through an ever-changing battlefield, not only to halt a global catastrophe but to save the fearsome creature that was once his friend.

No thread for this yet? Really? Anyway, here's the first trailer:

Last edited by a moderator:

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hahahahahahahahaha! They made a movie from this game? Hahahahahahaha!

But I will say this, I put so many quarters in this game when I was growing up, it's one of my favorites. Not sure about a moview though, unless it was a comedy.

I'll probably see it anyway.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
It actually looks pretty decent. Though if I were to judge purely by the trailer, I would guess that the 'video game' related portion of the film would probably only be like the last 15-20 minutes of the film. Which is probably good, as that is about as much material as you could stretch from the actual game.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw this trailer attached to Justice League. No way. Comedy or no, I don't want to see another carnage in the city movie. I was out when the screen said "From the Director of San Andreas."

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Completely ridiculous; and yet, my boys enjoyed it and laughed. Do not expect anything except to laugh at this and maybe with it, but LOTS of laughter. This is goofball with a plot that makes NO sense.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Crazy film, really lives up to its title. This is going to really rock the subwoofer when it comes home on disc. I could actually feel it vibrating the floor of the theater, which I'd never experienced at this theater before.

I was surprised there was a fair amount of animal on human carnage given the PG-13 rating. There were a couple of younger children in the theater, but they didn't seem to have an issue (unless there are nightmares later tonight).

I didn't quite understand how they seemed to know that George
would swallow Claire if they put the antidote on her? I don't recall George ever biting or eating anyone else. It just seemed like an odd leap of logic at a critical moment. Given his prior actions, it seemed like it would be more likely if he just picked her up and threw her off the building.

But overall it was a fun giant monster film.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
RE: my spoiler above, after doing some reading, it seems like that was intended as a nod to the video game. I'd never heard of or seen the game, so it didn't make sense to me at the time. Still doesn't, in the context of the film, but I guess it's a wink to the video game fans.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
RE: my spoiler above, after doing some reading, it seems like that was intended as a nod to the video game. I'd never heard of or seen the game, so it didn't make sense to me at the time. Still doesn't, in the context of the film, but I guess it's a wink to the video game fans.

The game was fantastic fun. You and two friends would just climb buildings and destroy them, the Army, street cars, sewer lids, etc.

Regarding the game:
And you'd eat people in windows or on the ground for an small boost to your life meter. But the best part was when your buddy's life ran out and they shrunk back down to a human and you ate them before they could get off the screen or put more quarters in to grow back into their character.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I saw the movie last week. Wonderful film, not a great film, but lots of fun. It will be a multiple watch 3D blu ray. This is one of the few movies that left me wanting a little more.
At the end when George is helping people out of the building, I took that to mean there’d be no one trying to destroy George. I wanted to see a little more of him helping people. It was too brief. Nothing in the end credits? This is the type of movie that should have them

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought the same thing. I loved that part too, and would have liked to seen more. But they seemed to treat it as such a throwaway moment as the camera is pulling back.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Dwayne Johnson seems to be the king of the forgettable action movie - at least those he headlines on his own. The cast added some spark to "Jumanji" but like "San Andreas", "Rampage" finds Dwayne as the only bankable star - and also like "San Andreas", it acts as generic action fodder.

Which seems like a shame, as "Rampage" boasts the potential to become much more than that. Ignore its video game origins and you have a movie in which giants animals battle each other - how could that be dull?

In this case, it's not truly dull, but it's also not especially exciting. There's a certain lack of drama or peril on display, as one never really senses danger - not for the "good guys", at least.

It probably doesn't help that Johnson's character should die at least 47 times during the course of the movie but comes away with barely a scratch. Even by action movie standards, it's absurd how much damage he takes without any lasting concerns - I can stretch credulity a lot in a movie like this, but matters become ridiculous.

In the end, "Rampage" brings us occasional bouts of action-based fun, but it seems like a disappointment in the end. The premise enjoys too much potential for it to become such a mediocre film...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw the movie last week. Wonderful film, not a great film, but lots of fun. It will be a multiple watch 3D blu ray. This is one of the few movies that left me wanting a little more.
At the end when George is helping people out of the building, I took that to mean there’d be no one trying to destroy George. I wanted to see a little more of him helping people. It was too brief. Nothing in the end credits? This is the type of movie that should have them
I finally got to see this film today and thought it was a wonderful film too. I laughed several times throughout the film, especially when certain individuals met their demise. I will be buying the 4K/UHD disc.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Fun fun fun. Enjoyed it tremendously.

Loved San Andreas too. I don’t go to these films for logical action. I go to be entertained. And they entertained me plenty.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So I've been thinking. Obviously not important thoughts. ;)
When the Rock's character is shot, how the hell does he recover?

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks