What's new

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Title: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Director: Quentin Tarantino

Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Al Pacino, Timothy Olyphant, Tim Roth, Kurt Russell, Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Dakota Fanning, James Marsden, Damian Lewis, Luke Perry, Emile Hirsch, Damon Herriman, Scoot McNairy, Clifton Collins Jr., Lorenza Izzo, Margaret Qualley, Sydney Sweeney, Rafał Zawierucha, Lena Dunham, Nicholas Hammond, Spencer Garrett, James Remar, Brenda Vaccaro, Mike Moh, Raul Cardona, Marco Rodríguez, Danny Strong, Zoë Bell, Julia Butters, Aundrea Smith, Martin Kove, Nichole Galicia, Craig Stark, Ramón Franco, Costa Ronin, Samantha Robinson, Dreama Walker, Rumer Willis, Keith Jefferson, Eddie Perez, Maurice Compte, Lew Temple, Austin Butler, Clu Gulager, James Landry Hébert, Maya Hawke, Victoria Pedretti, Madisen Beaty, Daniella Pick, Victoria Truscott, Monica Staggs, Harley Quinn Smith, Rebecca Rittenhouse, Mikey Madison, Rachel Redleaf, Brianna Joy Chomer, Suzanne LaChasse, Caitlin Herst, Kasey Landoll, Courtney M. Moore, María Birta, Natalie Cohen, Alicia Karami, Kerry Westcott, Miguel Fasa, Andrea Bensussen, Elisabeth Ferrara, Kansas Bowling, Parker Love Bowling, Brian Patrick Butler, Inbal Amirav, C. Ronald McPherson, Eddie J. Rangel, Richard Allan Jones, Bruce Del Castillo, Dave Silva, Michael Vincent McHugh, Veronika Mindal, Hal Dion, Bridie Latona, Gilbert Saldivar, Michael Thomas Cox, George Thomas Mansel, Juliette Kida, William Pierce, Zander Grable, John Luder, Dallas Jay Hunter

Release: 2019-08-09

Plot: In 1969 Los Angeles, a former Western star and his longtime stunt double struggle to find success in a Hollywood that they don't recognize anymore.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/qu...produce-distribute-his-ninth-film-1201897876/

Great. Looks like Quentin chose Columbia/Sony for his next movie about 1969/Charles Manson. I didn't know there was a bidding war from the studios(I feel bad for WB). Looks like a 2019 release which is quite a way off, but like every one of his films since Kill Bill vol. 1, I will be there opening day.

Recently when asked about his "Charles Manson movie" Tarantino replied "It's not Charles Manson, its 1969". Which is pretty ambiguous, but if it is indeed a Pulp Fiction format with different stories intertwined it should be a blast.

This is his 9th film. If he stays true to his word of 10 and done I will be very disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
9th?

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown
4. Kill Bill: Vol. 1
5. Kill Bill: Vol. 2
6. Death Proof
7. Inglourious Basterds
8. Django Unchained
9. The Hateful Eight

(and that doesn't count "Four Rooms" which was a theatrically released film)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Kill Bill 1&2 are counted as one film.

To that I say - it's two films. I had to buy two different tickets on two different dates to see it. If I wanted to buy it on disc, I'd have to buy two different discs. If I wanted to stream it, I'd have to make two different purchases. It's two films.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
To that I say - it's two films. I had to buy two different tickets on two different dates to see it. If I wanted to buy it on disc, I'd have to buy two different discs. If I wanted to stream it, I'd have to make two different purchases. It's two films.

I'm certainly not arguing that, I consider them 2 films as well. Just that of the "official" count, QT considers them as one film. If we ever received 'The whole bloody affair' or whatever it was called, that if my memory serves me correctly was released in Japan, then we could call it one film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
9th?

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown
4. Kill Bill: Vol. 1
5. Kill Bill: Vol. 2
6. Death Proof
7. Inglourious Basterds
8. Django Unchained
9. The Hateful Eight

(and that doesn't count "Four Rooms" which was a theatrically released film)
Love most of these films.

Like Jackie Brown

But Death Proof??? Ugh

His worst by a loooooong mile

Except for the last half hour and Kurt Russel

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Did you see Death Proof as part of Grindhouse or in the stand-alone release? I think it's actually better in its short version - Tarantino wasn't just making a movie but recreating a certain kind of experience (as was Robert Rodriguez) and I think when the films are presented in their full length versions, it takes away from what they were intended to be.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For the advertising of The Hateful Eight they wanted to capitalize on its being his eighth film. I guess they kind of had to cheat to do it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Jackie Brown is the only one I haven't seen, but I'm a fan of Death Proof. I think it may work better in the short version because that seems more in the spirit of the type of film it's trying to be, but I find both versions fun. And I will never forget the day I saw it. I don't remember how he came into possession of them, but my dad wound up with a pair of Red Sox tickets he couldn't use -- which makes sense, since he lives in NY -- and I lived in Boston at the time. It was a rare weekday daytime game, and both my roommate and I took the day off from work for the game. However, the morning of, it was pouring and they ended up straight-up canceling it hours ahead of time, instead of making the crowd come out and sit through the rain delay before calling it. Well, we already had the day off, so going to work was out of the question! Grindhouse had just opened, we were both QT fans, so we went and checked it out and had a freaking blast. Probably way more fun than we would have had at the ballgame.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jackie Brown is the only one I haven't seen...
It probably helps if you're a fan of blaxploitation movies but the great performances from Pam Grier, Robert Forster, Samuel L. Jackson and Robert DeNiro take the movie to the near top of QT's filmography. Bridget Fonda, Michael Keaton and Michael Bowen have smaller roles but are all enjoyable too.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It probably helps if you're a fan of blaxploitation movies but the great performances from Pam Grier, Robert Forster, Samuel L. Jackson and Robert DeNiro take the movie to the near top of QT's filmography. Bridget Fonda, Michael Keaton and Michael Bowen have smaller roles but are all enjoyable too.

I keep meaning to see it, it just always falls off my radar. I like that Michael Keaton played the same character in both Jackie Brown and Out Of Sight.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I consider Jackie Brown to be QT's best written, most disciplined film; perhaps because it was based on someone else's idea (Elmore Leonard's novel). Therefore, it wasn't plagued with his verbal diarrhea and unbelievable characters, and with his constant nods to other movies.
I do enjoy the other films, up to a point, but a pair of scissors would help his "genius" status.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think Ingloius Basterds is the absolute best film from Quentin Tarantino. But I love all of them. I am sad I missed the roadshow of The Hateful Eight(the way it was meant to be seen), but on the flip side I did see Grindhouse at my local Drive In which I feel was the best way to watch it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think Ingloius Basterds is the absolute best film from Quentin Tarantino. But I love all of them.
That's the problem for me ranking Tarantino's movies (or Spielberg's or Hitchcock's). I'd come up with my favorites but they've done so many movies that I love that I'd think "Well, what about <fill in the blank>?" and I'd have to totally rework my list.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm certainly not arguing that, I consider them 2 films as well. Just that of the "official" count, QT considers them as one film. If we ever received 'The whole bloody affair' or whatever it was called, that if my memory serves me correctly was released in Japan, then we could call it one film.

Unless I'm mistaken, "The Whole Bloody Affair" doesn't really exist. It was something that was kind of teased but never materialized. I believe all Japan got was an unrated version where I think the only difference was that the fight at The House of Blue Leaves was in color.

This is the kinda stuff that QT does that drives me bonkers.

I find that QT can be a very petulant man. There was that tantrum he had a few years ago when the Cinerama Dome because they went with "The Force Awakens" over TH8. What did he think they were going to do, go with a three hour, R-Rated western or, at the time, the most anticipated movie ever? I do get that Disney has been somewhat aggressive with the exhibitors, but there was no way TH8 was ever going to win. He nearly attacked someone taking a cellphone video of him (I get it can be annoying, but it's the price you pay for fame). He somewhat recently aligned with a movement that I didn't personally agree with, that's all I'll indicate (I get it's his right, but it doesn't exactly endear him to me). His admitted failure to act with regards to Weinstein won't exactly be a bright spot on his legacy. And I'm still pissed he won't release TH8 in roadshow format on BD. What's up with that? I guess some might say that he thinks of the Roadshow version is something special for theatrical screening only and maybe that would fly if it got re-released every few years, but that's not going to happen even if it didn't underperform at the BO. I liked TH8 but I refuse to watch it again until it's available in the Roadshow version (I get that makes me sound a bit petulant myself, but there's no reason to withhold it).

Last edited:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Unless I'm mistaken, "The Whole Bloody Affair" doesn't really exist. It was something that was kind of teased but never materialized. I believe all Japan got was an unrated version where I think the only difference was that the fight at The House of Blue Leaves was in color.

I have the Japanese cut of KILL BILL, VOL. 1. There's more gore in several scenes, including the anime sequence and the House of Blue Leaves sequence. The HOBL sequence also has more shots, including some HK-style wirework, in addition to it all being in color. But it is just Vol. 1.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
There're several cuts that differs between the Japanese and the international version of Vol.1, not only the color in the HOBL sequence. Including the scene between The Bride and Sofie and the end of the movie.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks