What's new

Subwoofer advise (1 Viewer)

Sub30hz

Auditioning
Real Name
Iain
Hi all newbie after some expert advise. Im in the market for a subwoofer for my room mainly for music and occasional movie. I currently have a pair of focal chorus 806v speakers powered by A Yamaha as501 amp im happy with the sound of them its my current subs which are lacking.

I have 2x vibe alpha 2 subwoofers which i bought cheap to put me on and now ready for upgrading. These are good for the money but peak at 45hz but below is near silent.

My budget is around £1000 mark but cant be to bulky as my room is only 12 ft x 12ft. It needs to play music with aggressive baselines aswell as maintaining quality for a variety of songs.
What would we suggest?

Mark LP

Stunt Coordinator
A great line available to you is Velodyne. They offer many sizes of subs with digital drivers. The digital drivers are on the more expensive side, but you could look for a well cared for used one. Good luck.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A great line available to you is Velodyne. They offer many sizes of subs with digital drivers. The digital drivers are on the more expensive side, but you could look for a well cared for used one. Good luck.
There is no such thing as a "digital driver". A sub driver is an electromagnetic transducer. A coil of wire is fed an alternating current which magnetizes the coil based on the phase of the current. That now magnetic coil interacts with the fixed magnet on the back of the frame. Based on the magnetic field, the coil which is attached to the cone will either be attracted to the fixed magnet and pull the cone in or push the cone out.

You may have mean digital amps but with most companies making them now, they are not more expensive. You can buy stand alone Class D amps plate amps from Parts Express. You can buy Class D pro amps from almost every manufacturer. You can even buy Class D amp boards to build your own amp.

Velodyne is a good company especially if you can't get anything from the internet direct sub sellers.

Mark LP

Stunt Coordinator
Velodyne calls their subs digital drive which is a digital amp as you reference. Since he might not have known about it, I chose not to confuse the subject and instead give a term that is used by Velodyne themselves that he can look into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks