What's new

iPhone 6 Battery is Near Death (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My wife’s phone battery has degraded. Took it into the Apple store and they ran diagnostics on it and determined the battery was near death. They’d replace it for $79 plus tax. While there, I checked out ifixit.com and they have the kit, which includes tools and battery for $25.

So I ordered the kit and am now waiting for it to arrive. Their shipping is high, $11 for what has to be a small, light package. I figure if a break the phone, it’s upgrade time.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interested to hear how it goes. iPhones are not made for owner repair. Be sure to measure twice, cut once (so to speak) :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My wife’s phone battery has degraded. Took it into the Apple store and they ran diagnostics on it and determined the battery was near death. They’d replace it for $79 plus tax. While there, I checked out ifixit.com and they have the kit, which includes tools and battery for $25.

So I ordered the kit and am now waiting for it to arrive. Their shipping is high, $11 for what has to be a small, light package. I figure if a break the phone, it’s upgrade time.
OU

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Why oh why isn’t there a slot in the side for replacement batteries in these things?
Also, I have 1000s of CDs that I download on my iPhone in rotation. Why don’t they also have a slot for a memory chip? Imagine a small case that contains several of these chips each of which contains a couple hundred CDs of music or several movies, that you could insert whenever you wanted to. Don’t tell me this is not an idea that someone has not already thought of. It seems very simple to me.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
That’s not the Apple way. The iPhone and iPad are a sandboxed, closed ecosystem on purpose and I do not believe that will change. Personally, I’m ok with it.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
That’s not the Apple way. The iPhone and iPad are a sandboxed, closed ecosystem on purpose and I do not believe that will change. Personally, I’m ok with it.

I think the Apple Way is to squeeze the customer as much as possible and make them pay through the nose. Think of how much less waste there would be if these devices were more permanent. If this is the Apple way, other manufacturers should take up the lead.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
it's not anybody's way now, is it? Google's Pixel phones have sealed batteries, I think. This video for Samsung Galaxy S8 shows how you bake the phone then use grilling gloves to tear it apart in order to get to the battery.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I replaced the battery in my iPhone 6 a few months ago using iFixit's battery, tools and guide. PIECE OF CAKE. Admittedly, I have some electronics assembly experience (two years in high school and almost 2 years in college). But replacing the battery is actually a mechanical job, not an electrical one. Just be sure to read each step TWICE before proceeding. The most difficult part is pulling away the two battery glue strips under the factory battery. If you break those off before they are completely removed you could be in for a minor headache getting the old battery out.

It took me about 15 minutes from start to finish. The new battery was like getting a new phone. The old battery was about 2.5 years old and I was getting down to the 20% range during the day. The new battery hasn't dropped blow 60% on a typical day since I installed it.

Mark

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I want to hear how your experience goes, too, Johnny.
I will post my results.

I replaced the battery in my iPhone 6 a few months ago using iFixit's battery, tools and guide. PIECE OF CAKE. Admittedly, I have some electronics assembly experience (two years in high school and almost 2 years in college). But replacing the battery is actually a mechanical job, not an electrical one. Just be sure to read each step TWICE before proceeding. The most difficult part is pulling away the two battery glue strips under the factory battery. If you break those off before they are completely removed you could be in for a minor headache getting the old battery out.

It took me about 15 minutes from start to finish. The new battery was like getting a new phone. The old battery was about 2.5 years old and I was getting down to the 20% range during the day. The new battery hasn't dropped blow 60% on a typical day since I installed it.

Mark
Two reasons why I’m willing to try to replace the battery. First, ifixit has videos and step by step instructions. I think I can do it. I will also take Mark’s advice about the glue strips. Second is that we’ve decided to upgrade the phone if I screw it up. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Two reasons why I’m willing to try to replace the battery. First, ifixit has videos and step by step instructions. I think I can do it. I will also take Mark’s advice about the glue strips. Second is that we’ve decided to upgrade the phone if I screw it up. :)

I replaced only one battery by myself - the 2nd gen (2002) iPad. Which was big enough, and old fashioned enough for it to be a straight forward job -- I wouldn't want to attempt it with a device from the last decade.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, I won’t be replacing the iPhone 6 battery. I finagled a deal with ATT where we upgraded my wife’s 6 to an 8 and my 6+ to a X for an extra $23 a month. When I was in the ATT store having my wife’s phone activated, I mentioned that I wanted to trade in my phones but needed to replace the battery.

She said, don’t bother. All we’ll do it turn it on and check that it has not obvious blemishes. So why risk screwing the phone.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sounds like you struck a pretty good deal there, Johnny! :thumbsup:
I have DTV, ATT internet and cell service. Told the csr I wanted to upgrade but didn’t want to increase my monthly services. She sent me to DTV which gave me $15 off per month for 24 months (even though I already had some promotions going on there. Already had a discount on internet. Went back to the cell section and the csr said they’ve got the buy an iPhone get one free, but it required a new line. CSR said I could cancel old line and still be the promotion. That’s what I did.

So, ordered a X and an 8 for a total addition outlay of $23. The monthly increase for the X is $38, subtract the DTV $15 and you get $23 which is what. The 8 would cost each month. Officially we’re paying for the X, but I’m claiming I’m paying for the 8 and got a free X. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks