What's new

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
DTS has collaborated with Sound United to integrate DTS Virtual: X into select A/V receivers from Denon and Marantz via firmware upgrade. The new technology is intended to deliver a virtual height or rear “rich, immersive” surround sound field, without the need for actual speakers to do the job.
DTS claims that, according to its research, less than 30% of consumers who buy multichannel A/V receivers actually connect height speakers and less than 48% of consumers connect rear surround speakers. The Virtual: X solution allows home theater equipment buyers to simulate the presence of height and/or rear immersive audio speakers until they upgrade to an “even better immersive sound experience when they’re able to add additional speakers to their system”.
“We are excited to partner with the Denon and Marantz brands to integrate DTS Virtual: X technology into A/V receivers for the first time,” says Joanna Skrdlant, general manager of DTS parent group Xperi Corporation. “DTS Virtual:X...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It will be interesting to try this when I get overhead speakers installed, as most virtual audio processing algo's don't really work for me. Hopefully this one will.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I installed the firmware update this morning on my Denon AVR-930H after reading this, could not find a way to enable DTS Virtual X, then came across this article on Denon's UK Support site:

DTS VIRTUAL:X NOT AVAILABLE

The sound mode DTS Virtual:X is not available although I have a unit that is equipped with this feature?
Please note that DTS Virtual:X only works with speaker configurations that do not contain any Height-, ceiling or Dolby Atmos speakers. If you have set up such a system, DTS Virtual:X will not be available as sound mode.

Due to the license agreement, Dolby prohibits to use any third party 3D virtualisation technology such as DTS Virtual:X with any Dolby source material. Therefore, if the input signal is Dolby Digital (1.0 to 5.1), Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos, DTS Virtual:X cannot be selected as sound mode. You may set the set the source player to output a decoded Dolby signal (such as PCM or Multichannel PCM) - if possible - to use the DTS Virtual:X sound mode.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is it weird that Denon’s entry-level to midrange AVRs get new features pronto while flagship prepro's like 7702 are delayed for months?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I have yet to experience a "virtual surround" mode that actually works for me. Maybe it's my ears.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The "phantom surround" mode on my new Sony 1080 is actually pretty neat (if limited). And that last post about Dolby incompatibility makes me less concerned about not having DTS Virtual:X.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
OK - gave DTS Virtual:X a try by going into my receiver's settings, backed up my current config to USB, then disabled all speakers except my front Left and Right and sub. Changed my Blu-ray to output PCM only. Inserted Game of Thrones: Season 7, Disc 3.

I have to say, I was very impressed! Virtual heights were not as present as I had hoped, but I actually had to walk up to my surrounds to make sure they were turned off! Is it as good as the real thing with discrete speakers? No, but compared to every other virtual surround process that I've tried, this one wins top honors for actually delivering without sounding hollow. So much so, that I'm inclined to actually recommend to those on a tight budget to get a receiver with this mode and spend the rest on a pair of really good bookshelf or tower speakers and a subwoofer, and add on surrounds and heights as you can afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks