What's new

Roman Waxy Holiday, in HD (1 Viewer)

Alberto_D

BANNED
I don't understand why people pay for suposed 1080P quality that are far from be really such thing.

For example there is a "HD" version from Roman Holiday that's it's inferior to the DVD edition.

DVNR looked horrible in motion scenes, accodring the link and screen capture.

The DVD was restored up to worth go back to 35mm print, if I remamber, and used a high quality grain reduction. So, why get this "master" somewhere else, made a crap HD for itunes ?
It would be better just use the DVD, which looked better...

Why people tolerate such lies, such poor things dressed like a HD?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've been *aching* for Roman Holiday on Blu-ray for several years now, and this only adds to the injury.

I don't know the reasons for it's absence on Blu-ray, but if it's as this thread claims, it's a damn shame.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Basically, it's a catch 22 situation, in that Paramount will no longer do any new to Blu-ray releases themselves, nor will they license out any of their previously issued to DVD titles. :(

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Is this purely strict adherence to an internal policy, so they've effectively handcuffed themselves?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I stand to be corrected but didn't Paramount also get criticized for their HD blu ray transfers of Hatari and Funny Face for excessive DNR? Perhaps this transfer of Roman Holiday was done at the same time.

Alberto_D

BANNED
I complaim cause the screen capture looks blurry in low motion, due poor grain reduction.

If you are gonna make a barbecue, and want to buy 1kg of meat, and someone give you 0,5kg, and you pay for 1kg, would you accept it?
For me it's the same thing... Broadcast HD it's not real HD, have much more artefacts and lost of fine details than blu ray. The same to web movies. If they claim it's 4K, it's aklso not 4K, cause it lost a lot and got artefact.

I don't accept 0,5kg when the offer is for 1kg.
;-)

Digital technology today have more loss of detail (when compared uncomporessed with compressed images) than analogic images (if with a reasonable reception and good equipment). That's why I always said digital HD videos (compressed) it's a lie most times.
From DVD begining to today, I saw artefacts and loss of details in little motion, became more noticeable today. This really anoys me, to see things get worse with advancents.
The same for TV screens... today view angle it's a garbage, even 15 degree creates differences in contrast, tone and colors, and also have refreshing rate, frequency. In CRT times there was no such anoying things to concern.

All 4K videos, from manufacturer website, I tested in 4K had a lot of artefacts and crap gradients. One video with 1GB for just 90 seconds duration, shot with the camera stopped and just few things moving on screen, had artefacts and banding where should be gradients. I can't accept that. In DVD times we had better gradients than with this damn MPEG4 in 4K videos.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Screen captures are notoriously inconsistent and frequently not indicative of the film in question.

I have seen Roman Holiday

You have not

I say we continue this conversation after you see it otherwise there is no point going on.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Poor viewing angles, not with a good plasma or OLED TV and quite a few people use projection too with proper light treated rooms.

Yes some transfers go overboard with noise reduction tools, Universal was notorious for doing that and then sharpening up and adding edge halos onto HD transfers, check out The Big Lebowski as one example of that.

I hope to one day see Roman Holiday on Blu Ray but it is not looking good, wish it was available to view on Netflix.

I cannot comment on what you say as I see no link to view the screen caps.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I complaim cause the screen capture looks blurry in low motion, due poor grain reduction.

If you are gonna make a barbecue, and want to buy 1kg of meat, and someone give you 0,5kg, and you pay for 1kg, would you accept it?
For me it's the same thing... Broadcast HD it's not real HD, have much more artefacts and lost of fine details than blu ray. The same to web movies. If they claim it's 4K, it's aklso not 4K, cause it lost a lot and got artefact.

I don't accept 0,5kg when the offer is for 1kg.

If you are going to complain about something, complain about something you have actual experience with seeing. Going with your analogy, it would be like saying you hate barbecue without ever having eaten any of it. This has been explained countless times in this forum - screencaps don't tell you jack shit about a transfer, you have to actually watch the thing.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If you are going to complain about something, complain about something you have actual experience with seeing. Going with your analogy, it would be like saying you hate barbecue without ever having eaten any of it. This has been explained countless times in this forum - screencaps don't tell you jack shit about a transfer, you have to actually watch the thing.
I disagree Sean, screencaps can tell you if a title has edge enhancement sharpening or DNR, they cannot tell you about some issues but they have their use, they are frames from the film, it all depends who takes them and the source, I would like to see these screencaps for myself.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I stand to be corrected but didn't Paramount also get criticized for their HD blu ray transfers of Hatari and Funny Face for excessive DNR? Perhaps this transfer of Roman Holiday was done at the same time.

Hatari and Funny Face indeed did not look too hot, especially Funny Face given its large format origins looked quite bad.

From what I understand Roman Holiday is available via vudu but any screen captures somebody could make would be highly depending on available bitrate at the time of the screen capture and also other factors so I would not put too much stock in them. Especially at lower bitrates vudu has its own rather agressive grain reduction technology and even at higher bitrates the grain structure cannot be reproduced in the same way as it can be reproduced on a Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Alberto_D

BANNED
That's why I refuse to pay for such web garbagery...

Not just web, but broadcast HD TV, at least in my contry, it's a piece of garbage.
The mini sat (small parabolic antenna) signed TV it's even worse than the broadcast station HD. Their 1080P (interlaced) it's for me worse than a DVD, and some channels in hard motion it's like a VHS in image detail plus the banding instead of gradients.

Netfix here it's another crap, despite be "less worse", also kills lot's of details. I tried to watch Supergirl and could not stand in front of screen. All scene with some where should be gradients.
People need to stop pay for crap dressed as HD.

By the way, the crap grain reduction in Roman Holiday it's not from the DVD version. The DVD version got the best grain reduction available, the only technology able to reduce grain with real quality. At the time it took 500 macs to process the algorithm.

...vudu has its own rather agressive grain reduction technology die to the low bitrate and even at higher bitrates the grain structure cannot be reproduced in the same way as it can be reproduced on a Blu-ray.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
That sounds very bad, where do you live?

In many countries streaming services can look really good these days but I still would prefer the option to download in the best possible quality and then watch a bit later. without any hiccups. It only takes some storage in the playback device and a little bit of planning in advance but these days it seemingly is all about I want the movie NOW and when there is a download option people do not even get the best possible bitrates with their downloads, not to speak of 4k resolution.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That's why I refuse to pay for such web garbagery...

Not just web, but broadcast HD TV, at least in my contry, it's a piece of garbage.
The mini sat (small parabolic antenna) signed TV it's even worse than the broadcast station HD. Their 1080P (interlaced) it's for me worse than a DVD, and some channels in hard motion it's like a VHS in image detail plus the banding instead of gradients.

Netfix here it's another crap, despite be "less worse", also kills lot's of details. I tried to watch Supergirl and could not stand in front of screen. All scene with some where should be gradients.
People need to stop pay for crap dressed as HD.

By the way, the crap grain reduction in Roman Holiday it's not from the DVD version. The DVD version got the best grain reduction available, the only technology able to reduce grain with real quality. At the time it took 500 macs to process the algorithm.
How would you know if there is “crap grain reduction in Roman Holiday” if you have not seen it??

Again, I have seen it and the grain is there. Certainly better than the dvd which I have also seen.

Jeez dude. Ease off on the hyperbole. :huh:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Netflix streaming quality is pretty good these days, broadcast here in the UK is good enough for watching stuff, especially channel four who tend to have decent pic quality, none of it compares to a good disc but it’s watchable on a 60 inch plasma.

I have not watched a DVD in years but I understand they do not apply aggressive sharpening anymore so less halo’s to burn the eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks