What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Luc Besson’s movies are an acquired taste, and his most recent, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, is no exception. It’s a great looking movie with enough quirks to make it different from all the other comic book adaptations, but failed to connect with a worldwide audience, nearly bankrupting its studio, Europacorp.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
One of the biggest problems is that much of what Valerian and Lauerline uncover is almost all by coincidence or circumstance, not from any real investigative work.

Exactly how I felt about the original Blade Runner. But, after I watched it 3 more times, it grew on me.

Maybe I'll give this movie a chance after all.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the review, Todd. I normally like Besson's films, but there have been enough negative reviews of this movie where I think I will have to rent it first instead of making a blind purchase.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This movie will be a future $5 dump bin purchase for me.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow. It is termed "not a very good movie", but gets 3.5 out of 5 and 4 out of 5 overall.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I thought Todd's review was spot on. I saw VALERIAN theatrically and was thoroughly entertained despite the film's obvious flaws. I knew I would be ordering the 4K Blu-Ray once it was announced. As Todd noted in his opening comments, Luc Besson is definitely an acquired taste.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
For some reason, the link redirects to the 2D version. Just go to amazon.co.uk and search for Valerian 3D blu, and it should take you to the correct page.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
For some reason, the link redirects to the 2D version. Just go to amazon.co.uk and search for Valerian 3D blu, and it should take you to the correct page.
Did that. No luck.

Looking for the 3D/4K combo as mentioned above.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks Edwin but that link just brings me to the regular domestic blu Ray.

Hmmm. OK, that is odd. It goes straight to the Amazon UK page when I click on it. Amazon US must have something in place that re-routes to the US site.

Apparently this disc is region 2 only.

Josh Steinberg mentioned, in another thread, that the region 2 information for this disc on Amazon UK is incorrect. The disc is region free. I didn't know that and had ordered the much more expensive steel book version. I decided to not cancel and reorder as I like the look of the steel book better than the regular. Also, the steel book version specifically mentioned being region free.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Are we sure the Valerian 3D blu is region free??

Can someone please confirm.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I searched and didn't see a 4k/3d combo either.

I'm pretty sure that is due to it being sold out, so Amazon UK pulled the listing. I had ordered the 4K/3D combo earlier. Then I saw the listing for the 3D steel book which has the same cover as the 4k/3D steel book. I thought I had made a mistake in ordering so I canceled the order about a half and hour ago. My account status said the disc was "on the way" with a delivery date. When I canceled, it said "refund in progress" and "there is no need to return the item", so now I'm wondering if it was already shipped out before I canceled or was still processing.

Seriously, I have been brain farting over the whole weekend. If my cancellation went through before it was shipped then I pretty well screwed myself as the 4K/3D steel book is presently unavailable with no indication if it will be restocked. :rolleyes: :angry::(

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This is on another thread:

Steve ChristouLong Member

Terry, I also have an LG multiregion blu-ray player (not 3D) and it's currently set for playing region A discs. I've popped in the Valerian 2D and 3D discs just now and a message came up saying they are the wrong region code. Not sure if that's any help to you, but who knows some blu-ray players can play all sorts of discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks