What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Back in November of 2001, when the newly anointed young thespians who made up the lead students in the series, had not yet hit their teens, the series of books, which first appeared in 1997, arrived at your local cinemas, courtesy of Warner Bros.

That original tome, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, was followed by six more, which Warner's, with divine wisdom, turned into seven films.

Shot on film (S35), and presented in that manner, back in the dark ages, before DCPs, Sorcerer's Stone is a magnificently mounted production.

As the books continued, and more films were cranked out, the home video world was hit by an onslaught of releases -- by last count over 147,000 different discs, and disc sets, combining and re-combining, in every possible permutation and combination.

While many that the big box of discs and stuff might have been the ne plus ultra, it is now difficult to keep track of the various extended cuts, and 3D versions.

Back in March of 2017, Warner Home Video released the last four films in the series, in 4k, and is now following those up with the first four, both singly, and as an eight film set - which, for those who have not already added the last four films to their libraries in 4k, is the way to acquire the eight films, especially at a $145 street price.

Comparing the Blu-ray, packaged with the new 4k of Sorcerer's Stone, I had expected more of the Blu-ray, but the 2007 release is showing it's age -- or perhaps it was never really high quality.

This makes the 4k appear even more exceptional. A beautiful, highly resolved image, with good grain, and superb color, Harry Potter is glorious, and almost a pleasure to watch.

My only problem is the application of HDR, which, at least on this first film in the series, seems quite heavy-handed.

Where black robes, especially in darker interior scenes, used to have shadow detail, that's virtually gone, with only minor layering of heavy black.

I viewed initially via projection, and later tested on a Sony OLED. While the OLED did create a better image, I can't agree that the HDR, as offered here is as good as it might be.

Possibly we need a low-HDR version.

That niggling problem aside, the first film in the series, is a stand-out, making all of those earlier DVDs and Blu-rays that you've purchased, a step above industrial waste.

The difference is
that great, especially taking into account that this is a new scan of the original film elements, and not a 2k to 4 uprez, as with the later productions.

Audio is likewise superb, with the added dimension of height channels, via DTS:X.

The extended version is offered on the Blu-ray, along with the theatrical, and a third disc serves to contain extras.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5 (DTS:X)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Alberto_D

BANNED
HDR killing shadow detrails???
It should be the contrary... A shame to the mastering department...

LCD already kills a lot of details in hightlights and in shadows, reason I call LCD technology a huge retrocess in terms of contrast.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Viewing on an 85" Samsung, calibrated for UHD, I don't recall having any quibble with black level on shadow detail myself. What I do remember is falling into the wizarding world of Harry Potter in one of the most "transparent" film presentations on video that I have ever seen. "Transparent" as in, at no time during the 150 or so minutes of the film did I ever once get pulled out of the narrative by the presentation.

This to me is the true beauty of 4K UHD.

We have come very close to viewing "film" on video. In some ways even exceeding what most of us can expect from a first run cinema with the exception of physical size.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Viewing on an 85" Samsung, calibrated for UHD, I don't recall having any quibble with black level on shadow detail myself. What I do remember is falling into the wizarding world of Harry Potter in one of the most "transparent" film presentations on video that I have ever seen. "Transparent" as in, at no time during the 150 or so minutes of the film did I ever once get pulled out of the narrative by the presentation.

This to me is the true beauty of 4K UHD.

We have come very close to viewing "film" on video. In some ways even exceeding what most of us can expect from a first run cinema with the exception of physical size.

I was only "pulled out" by what I considered to be heavy handed HDR.

Wonderful film.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I own the first 5 Harry Potter films on HD DVD and the remaining 3 on Blu. Getting the 8-film UHD set seems a natural. But about $80 is the right price for this double dip. $149 is ridiculous.

I am tempted by the UK set at around $95 via Amazon UK. Still too much though.

Mark

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Robert, are you saying the rest of the films are uprezzed to 4K? That sucks if true.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The 4k is superior to the Blu. Better color, grain structure. I have compared them using my LG 65" OLED. The only caveat, as Mr. Harris noted, is in the shadow detail loss. You can see this in the opening sequence in which Dumbledore appears between trees that, in the 4k edition, dissolve into blotchiness in a darker and less detailed image than the Blu provided. Otherwise, it's a solid upgrade.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Does anyone know if the HDR issue has caused a recall? Amazon still doesn't have the first film available or even listed in 4K. I have 2-4 in 4K but trying to find #1.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Does anyone know if the HDR issue has caused a recall? Amazon still doesn't have the first film available or even listed in 4K. I have 2-4 in 4K but trying to find #1.

Unaware of any HDR issue. It looks precisely the way the filmmakers wish it to look.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member