What's new

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Title: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Tagline: More Than One Wears The Mask

Genre: Action, Adventure, Animation, Science Fiction

Director: Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey

Cast: Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, Hailee Steinfeld, Mahershala Ali, Brian Tyree Henry, Lily Tomlin, Lauren Vélez, Zoë Kravitz, John Mulaney, Kimiko Glenn, Nicolas Cage, Kathryn Hahn, Liev Schreiber, Chris Pine, Natalie Morales, Edwin H. Bravo, Oscar Isaac, Greta Lee, Stan Lee, Jorma Taccone, Joaquín Cosio, Marvin 'Krondon' Jones III, Kim Yarbrough, Lake Bell, Nick Jaine, Muneeb Rehman, Post Malone, Melanie Haynes, Lex Lang, Christopher Miller, Scott Menville, Juan Pacheco, Miguel Jiron

Release: 2018-12-08

Plot: Miles Morales is juggling his life between being a high school student and being Spider-Man. However, when Wilson "Kingpin" Fisk uses a super collider, another Spider-Man from another dimension, Peter Parker, accidentally winds up in Miles' dimension. As Peter trains Miles to become a better Spider-Man, they are soon joined by four other Spider-Men from across the "Spider-Verse". As all these clashing dimensions start to tear Brooklyn apart, Miles must help the others stop Fisk and return everyone to their own dimensions.

In other Spidey news unrelated to the MCU, Sony's animated Miles Morales Spider-Man movies will be released in theaters next December, and I think it looks really cool.

Thought I'd start a separate thread so the discussion of this and the Homecoming sequel don't get confused.

I think Sony was smart to go with Miles Morales as its protagonist for a separate continuity of animated adventures on the big screen. And I hope the title means that we get Spider-Man 2099 and the Scarlet Spider and Spider-Gwen.

I love the look of that trailer; I was expecting straight CG animation, but they've come up with a look that sort of feels like the panels of a comic book come to life, down to the dot matrix printing look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes, I think the animation style looks cool. It reminds me a little of the look of The Iron Giant.

I’m aware of the Miles Morales character but I’ve never actually read any stories or seen anything animated featuring him. Spidey in the MCU is just starting out, so it would be way premature to use this character in those movies. I’m looking forward to getting to know his character in this.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow. This is the only Spiderman film I have any interest in seeing, but I'm still anticipating West Anderson's "Isle of Dogs" more. That film looks fantastic

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I am in love with this new trailer:

Miles Morales is likable as the lead, all of the stuff between him and his dad plays great, and we get three versions of Spidey.

One of the freedoms they have with the Peter Parker Spider-Man being a supporting character rather than the lead is that he doesn't have to be the audience surrogate. Jake Johnson's take on the Peter Parker Spider-Man feels like a guy who's had a couple decades of tough breaks, and is a bit rougher around the edges because of it. Yes, he's still saving the city. But every other part of his life is an absolute mess.

Because she bears no physical resemblance to the character, I never would have thought of Hailee Steinfeld for Gwen Stacy. But based on that little bit in the trailer, she actually makes great voice casting for the Spider-Gwen version of the character.

Mostly, though, I just love the style of this thing. It's not straight CG; it incorporates a lot of the imperfections and happy accidents of printed comic books.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I am in love with this new trailer:

Miles Morales is likable as the lead, all of the stuff between him and his dad plays great, and we get three versions of Spidey.

One of the freedoms they have with the Peter Parker Spider-Man being a supporting character rather than the lead is that he doesn't have to be the audience surrogate. Jake Johnson's take on the Peter Parker Spider-Man feels like a guy who's had a couple decades of tough breaks, and is a bit rougher around the edges because of it. Yes, he's still saving the city. But every other part of his life is an absolute mess.

Because she bears no physical resemblance to the character, I never would have thought of Hailee Steinfeld for Gwen Stacy. But based on that little bit in the trailer, she actually makes great voice casting for the Spider-Gwen version of the character.

Mostly, though, I just love the style of this thing. It's not straight CG; it incorporates a lot of the imperfections and happy accidents of printed comic books.

This looks good! I’m looking forward to it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
New Spider-Gwen poster:
Spider-Man_IntoTheSpiderVerse_005.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As long as I enjoy it better than Spiderman Homecoming ( which I really didn’t like) I’ll be happy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm really excited for this.

I particularly like how the animation style shifts for the various spider people: Spider-Ham is reminiscent of Saturday morning cartoons like "Garfield and Friends", SP//dr is reminiscent of anime, and Spider-Man Noir is reminiscent of an old school black and white newspaper comic strip.

The rumor is that Sony is planning a female-led spinoff with Hailee Steinfeld returning to voice Spider-Gwen alongside the Jessica Drew Spider-Woman and the May Parker Spider-Girl.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
This is getting fantastic buzz! Quite pumped to see it. With Homecoming, Infinity War, and Mysterio in Far from Home, it's great days to be a Spidey fan.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I saw this today. The buzz for this film is warranted. It was spectacular. Not only was the story exciting and fun, the animation was quite breathtaking.

Stan Lee's cameo was hysterical.

The post-credits scene is one of the best I've ever seen in a superhero film.

5/5

Thanks for the review! Definitely will be checking it out! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I saw this today. The buzz for this film is warranted. It was spectacular. Not only was the story exciting and fun, the animation was quite breathtaking.

Stan Lee's cameo was hysterical.

The post-credits scene is one of the best I've ever seen in a superhero film.

5/5

Yeah, I’m really looking forward to this.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw this today.

I was wondering if anyone here made it to the sneak previews, which I felt were oddly under-reported. I only found out about it last night almost by accident while browsing showtimes looking for something else. It was playing near-ish to me, but farther out than I would normally go, so I didn't think it was worth a special trip to a different theater when I know that it will be playing at my regular place next week.

I really wasn't/am not particularly into this idea -- I really only know and like Peter Parker from the other films, and I'm not a comic fan so I don't really know or care anything about Miles Morales or any of these other spider-people. I also especially don't want to give Sony any more reason than Venom already did to break up the shared-custody agreement they have with Disney for the MCU Spider-Man. And, none of the trailers on this have really done anything for me at all. So I wasn't originally planning on seeing this.

However, the overwhelmingly positive nature of the reviews has certainly gotten my attention moreso than I thought they would.

We'll see. I'm glad to hear you liked it.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I was wondering if anyone here made it to the sneak previews, which I felt were oddly under-reported. I only found out about it last night almost by accident while browsing showtimes looking for something else. It was playing near-ish to me, but farther out than I would normally go, so I didn't think it was worth a special trip to a different theater when I know that it will be playing at my regular place next week.
I actually only found it by total accident myself. I was on the AMC website the other day to book my ticket for Bumblebee and I saw this listed for 2:00 p.m. At first I thought it was an error. I figured it was some sort of screening that wasn't meant for the general public and was put up for sale by accident. I'm not sure it why it wasn't promoted like the early screenings of Aquaman and Bumblebee.

I really wasn't/am not particularly into this idea -- I really only know and like Peter Parker from the other films, and I'm not a comic fan so I don't really know or care anything about Miles Morales or any of these other spider-people.
I haven't had interest in the film until recently. When I first heard about it and saw the first trailer, I thought I would take a pass on it. I listen frequently to the Collider Heroes podcast and it wasn't until their overwhelming praise of this film that it became a must-see for me.

I also especially don't want to give Sony any more reason than Venom already did to break up the shared-custody agreement they have with Disney for the MCU Spider-Man.
I'm not sure this film would affect that arrangement in the same way that Venom might have (or maybe didn't). It could also have the opposite effect. Between Venom, Spider-Verse and Avengers: Endgame, interest in Spidey should be off the charts by the time Far From Home comes out. Far From Home could conceivably do substantially better than Homecoming did. If that happens, Sony might be awfully happy with their MCU arrangement and wish to continue.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really wasn't/am not particularly into this idea -- I really only know and like Peter Parker from the other films, and I'm not a comic fan so I don't really know or care anything about Miles Morales or any of these other spider-people. I also especially don't want to give Sony any more reason than Venom already did to break up the shared-custody agreement they have with Disney for the MCU Spider-Man. And, none of the trailers on this have really done anything for me at all. So I wasn't originally planning on seeing this.
To me, projects like this are the upside of other studios holding the rights to some of the Marvel characters: We get movies that Disney never would have made in a million years. I think there's room for both, and I think it's in Sony's interest as well as Marvel's to keep the animated Spider-Verse separate from the Homecoming franchise.

I do think if this is successful, we'll be far more likely to see a version of Spider-Gwen in the MCU, and Marvel and Sony will probably feel a lot more comfortable rolling out the Miles Morales Spider-Man once Tom Holland's ready to hang up the tights as Peter Parker.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks