What's new

International More 20th Century Fox titles on Blu-ray in U. K. (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Amazon U. K. are listing four new to Blu-ray 20th Century Fox titles from Signal One in the new year.

The Inspector (which is also known as Lisa) a film I saw and enjoyed as a teenager when it first came out.
The Gunfighter which I'm sure needs no introduction from me.
The Halls Of Montezuma which was a big hit on its first release but whose reputation has sagged a bit since then.
Let's Make Love which I enjoy a lot but which is routinely trashed by Marilyn Monroe devotees.

I'll wait for reviews of course, but if these are high quality discs, I'll buy all four.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The only one I'm really interested in is The Inspector. I have the Fox MOD which is in wide screen but it is not anamorphic so the blu would be a definite upgrade. I'm happy with my The Gunfighter and Let's Make Love DVDs.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I agree The Gunfighter DVD is excellent. I bought it as part of a three Westerns box-set. The other two films I have already replaced with Blu-ray discs. The Gunfighter remains as an orphan.

I didn't buy The Inspector on DVD-R. The comments here at HTF put me off. I've seen it only once on television since its first release.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw (1958) a British-American western spoof comedy shot at Pinewood Studios and on location in Spain, directed by Raoul Walsh, and starring Jayne Mansfield and Kenneth More. It's being released on Blu-Ray in the UK by a company called Plan B Entertainment, which I've never heard of.

The film is most notable for being one of the first Hollywood financed westerns shot in Europe. It's Spanish western sets were re-used by Sergio Leone for A Fistful of Dollars (1964) which started the spaghetti western craze.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Halls of Montezuma is a wonderful movie for its depiction of the horrors of war and its impact on the participants. How significant that its director, Lewis MIlestone, won the Best Director Oscar 21 years earlier for another notable war movie, All Quiet on the Western Front.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Amazon U. K. are listing four new to Blu-ray 20th Century Fox titles from Signal One in the new year.

The Inspector (which is also known as Lisa) a film I saw and enjoyed as a teenager when it first came out.
The Halls Of Montezuma which was a big hit on its first release but whose reputation has sagged a bit since then.
Let's Make Love which I enjoy a lot but which is routinely trashed by Marilyn Monroe devotees.

I'll wait for reviews of course, but if these are high quality discs, I'll buy all four.

I'm glad more Monroe titles are coming to blu ray

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw (1958) a British-American western spoof comedy shot at Pinewood Studios and on location in Spain, directed by Raoul Walsh, and starring Jayne Mansfield and Kenneth More. It's being released on Blu-Ray in the UK by a company called Plan B Entertainment, which I've never heard of.

The film is most notable for being one of the first Hollywood financed westerns shot in Europe. It's Spanish western sets were re-used by Sergio Leone for A Fistful of Dollars (1964) which started the spaghetti western craze.
Isn't Plan B Entertainment the name of Brad Pitt's production company?

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I've since learned that PlanB is an offshoot of Signal One. They release 20th Century Fox and MGM/UA titles in the UK. I've bought a few of their titles, including Eyewitness (1981) and Kiss of Death (1947), so I feel more comfortable with the label now.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

Well that is interesting to know. Bernard Robinson, Hammer's production designer, having his sets reappear in the first of the legendary dollar westerns!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I watched the The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw blu-ray yesterday and it looked good. Grain structure is intact. Colors fluctuate slightly, but my understanding from RAH is that this is not uncommon for Eastmancolor stock from this period. The disc uses the exact same HD master used for the VuduHDX stream. A list of features.

* Lossless LPCM Audio Track
* Theatrical Trailer
* Audio Commentary by C. Courtney Joyner and Marilyn Moss
* English SDH Subtitles
* Slideshow Gallery Featuring Posters & Publicity Photos

EVOwERp.jpg

5DSKyT6.jpg

KdJnukn.jpg

Ov2xMdy.jpg

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Great news. I'll be picking up several of these. I wonder if they might eventually release the "forgotten" historical widescreen films like The Story of Ruth, Esther and the King and Francis of Assisi? Henry Koster, Raoul Walsh and Michael Curtiz are reasons enough to consider them. Signal One, how about it?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Masters Of Cinema series will release No Way Out on a Blu-ray/DVD combo in June. This is the 1950 film starring Richard Widmark, Linda Darnell and Sidney Poitier, not the remake of The Big Clock with Kevin Costner.

No Way Out 2.jpg

The 1950's No Way Out presents Richard Widmark as a ferocious racist gleefully tormenting a black doctor, played by Sidney Poitier. It was rumored that Joseph Mankiewicz wrote and directed this film, very atypical of his normal subject matter, because he was resentful of the praise Elia Kazan was receiving for making films like Gentleman's Agreement and Pinky which centered on racism.

An additional attraction, for me at least, in No Way Out is seeing Stephen McNally play a likable, well-intentioned man. Mr. McNally was a very good actor who was often cast as the villain where he was truly formidable. However he could also play pleasant, easy-going characters and I preferred him in those roles.

As I am a major Linda Darnell fan, I must suggest that anyone who doubts her acting capabilities should compare her performance in No Way Out with her work in Tyrone Power movies. It takes talent be as flexible as Linda Darnell was..

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the info. I really like this movie and will be looking forward to a high definition copy of it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Masters Of Cinema series will release No Way Out on a Blu-ray/DVD combo in June. This is the 1950 film starring Richard Widmark, Linda Darnell and Sidney Poitier, not the remake of The Big Clock with Kevin Costner.

View attachment 45400

The 1950's No Way Out presents Richard Widmark as a ferocious racist gleefully tormenting a black doctor, played by Sidney Poitier. It was rumored that Joseph Mankiewicz wrote and directed this film, very atypical of his normal subject matter, because he was resentful of the praise Elia Kazan was receiving for making films like Gentleman's Agreement and Pinky which centered on racism.

An additional attraction, for me at least, in No Way Out is seeing Stephen McNally play a likable, well-intentioned man. Mr. McNally was a very good actor who was often cast as the villain where he was truly formidable. However he could also play pleasant, easy-going characters and I preferred him in those roles.

As I am a major Linda Darnell fan, I must suggest that anyone who doubts her acting capabilities should compare her performance in No Way Out with her work in Tyrone Power movies. It takes talent be as flexible as Linda Darnell was..
Yeah, a while back I pre-ordered it along with The Defiant Ones from Eureka as both titles are coming out on the same June 11th date.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

It’s been quite some time since you posted this, but Signal One finally released Halls of Montezuma last month and I got my copy after a mere 4-year wait from product announcement.

In case it’s still of interest, the Blu-ray is quite presentable and filmic, although there’s debris and minor damage present, especially in the early frames. To my eyes, the colours look healthy and the image is clear and sharp enough.

The audio is also clear and serviceable. Accurate subtitles. A brief and very dry video essay by Mark Searby, together with a B&W stills gallery make up the extras. You have to use the ‘play’ button to advance in the photo gallery, with no way that I could find to reverse to a previous photo.

After four years, I can’t say it was worth the wait, but I’m glad to have it, as Richard Widmark is among my favourite actors, I like the movie and it looks fine on this Blu.

Appears Region B-locked. Didn’t load on my Region-A player and I didn’t bother to check for Region-C.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks