What's new

Blacking out windows (1 Viewer)

Hogarth

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I have a Home Theater with a 75" TV mounted between 2 windows. My problem is that there is virtually no room to mount anything inside the frame (see photo) and I do not want to use something that will cover or block the coved oak trim. Anyone have a good solution as to how I can solve this issue? My research has revealed that there are no true "black out" drapes. Thanks.

20171211_092430_zpsfhoro84o.jpg

20171211_092509_zps47ioi0zm.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How about some kind of panel that can be inserted into the window frame when you want to block light, then stored out of sight when not needed?

Hogarth

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
How about some kind of panel that can be inserted into the window frame when you want to block light, then stored out of sight when not needed?
I have never seen anything like that. I suppose that 'the devil is in the details' and I don't have a real clear idea of how that would work.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's been done before. Not exactly something I came up with.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
When I complained about light on our screen, my wonderful wife came home with these the next day. I have had no complaints since then--and neither has she (as long as they stay open when we are not watching a show!).

This is an elegant solution! :)

My past attempts at dealing with excess light on the screen, involved putting black trash bags on the windows. (ie. The brain dead way).

Hogarth

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not with the ones we bought. The trick is to make sure they are bigger than the window by enough space that it's hard for light to seep through. True, sometimes I have to tussle one side to get it to lie flat enough to block the light, but it's never been a big hassle. Are they 100% effective all the time? No, but I really don't have any complaints. Just be sure and measure your window and then measure the drapes to make sure they will give you the coverage you want. My wife got heavy ones, and we had to bolster the installation, but it was worth it.

Hogarth

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Not with the ones we bought. The trick is to make sure they are bigger than the window by enough space that it's hard for light to seep through. True, sometimes I have to tussle one side to get it to lie flat enough to block the light, but it's never been a big hassle. Are they 100% effective all the time? No, but I really don't have any complaints. Just be sure and measure your window and then measure the drapes to make sure they will give you the coverage you want. My wife got heavy ones, and we had to bolster the installation, but it was worth it.
Would it be possible for you to post a photo or 2 of these drapes when closed during the day so I can see exactly what is looks like? I sure would appreciate it. The other thing that makes my situation complicated is that there are baseboard heat elements beneath the windows which make it impossible to put up drapes that are against the wall all the way to the floor.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I would say if you have baseboard issues, this is probably not going to be the solution. I'll keep my brain on it and see what I can think of. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks