What's new

Pre-Order Star Wars: The Last Jedi (4k UHD) (3D Blu-ray) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
11642794-7024539569330646.jpg

https://www.zavvi.com/offers/star-wars.list

Overseas preorders go live. Expecting Amazon to follow shortly. We will post Amazon preorders here once available.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
What amazes me are movie pre-orders when it's just now opening in theaters!

I remember the days of a movie not showing up on the broadcast networks (no home media in those days) for *years* after it finally left the theater, if at all. Even when home videotape caught hold it could be years after theatrical release before a home version was available.

I keep expecting studios to make a digital purchase available to patrons on the way out of a showing. Show your stub at a special kiosk, pay a fee (with a small discount as a perk for having actually gone to a theater), and get a digital code to redeem at home. See it in the theater today, watch it at home tomorrow!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Exclusive Steelbooks of 3D, and UHD. I'd love to get these as I'm sure they are region free(Disney) but I'm not sure if they charge credit cards immediately or when they ship.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What amazes me are movie pre-orders when it's just now opening in theaters!

With the home video market fragmenting and dying out, and with windows from theatrical to home video rapidly shrinking, the strategy makes sense to me. Star Wars is supposedly coming out on disc in April, but for most movies, it's even less: a 3-4 month window from theatrical to disc and in the case of Fox, that's down to 2-3 months.

The most money the studio will ever spend on advertising the title is right now as it's about to open in theaters. Many people will leave the theater wanting to see it again, and having the preorder available now is a great way to capitalize on that.

Be nice if they made 4K/3D combo release. Don't know why they studios want to divide enthusiasts.

Not to be argumentative, but don't we kinda know? Manufacturers are not supporting 3D in the home anymore - there is not a single 2017 model television in existence that supports 3D, and so far no 2018 model announced either. I think they didn't make the zillions of extra profit they expected to make overnight, so they moved on to the next thing. I'm grateful that we are still getting some releases, and I think overall there are too many SKUs for each movie title, but there doesn't seem to be an interest in reducing the number of product configurations available - at least, not by condensing them into a single package.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
With the home video market fragmenting and dying out, and with windows from theatrical to home video rapidly shrinking, the strategy makes sense to me. Star Wars is supposedly coming out on disc in April, but for most movies, it's even less: a 3-4 month window from theatrical to disc and in the case of Fox, that's down to 2-3 months.

The most money the studio will ever spend on advertising the title is right now as it's about to open in theaters. Many people will leave the theater wanting to see it again, and having the preorder available now is a great way to capitalize on that.

Not to be argumentative, but don't we kinda know? Manufacturers are not supporting 3D in the home anymore - there is not a single 2017 model television in existence that supports 3D, and so far no 2018 model announced either. I think they didn't make the zillions of extra profit they expected to make overnight, so they moved on to the next thing. I'm grateful that we are still getting some releases, and I think overall there are too many SKUs for each movie title, but there doesn't seem to be an interest in reducing the number of product configurations available - at least, not by condensing them into a single package.

What doesn't make much sense to me though if assumedly the studios are trying to grow UHD which is still niche to enthusiasts, why cannibalize? The people who still buy 3D releases are likely the same ones who have also upgraded to UHD. Take me for example. I have 3D and UHD capability I'm always going to go with the 3D if I have to choose (because 3D is going to eventually cease on home video, 4K will remain even if it's not on physical media and also because I happen to like 3D). It just seems to me like there's no reason not to package the 4K and 3D together. It reduces the amount of SKUs you need to have, it works perfectly for those who are dual equipped and even if you don't want the 3D disc, well....many times you buy a UHD you're getting a Blu-ray Disc you already own. And it's not like the price of the UHD would go down if the Blu-Ray disc weren't included

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What doesn't make much sense to me though if assumedly the studios are trying to grow UHD which is still niche to enthusiasts, why cannibalize? The people who still buy 3D releases are likely the same ones who have also upgraded to UHD. Take me for example. I have 3D and UHD capability I'm always going to go with the 3D if I have to choose (because 3D is going to eventually cease on home video, 4K will remain even if it's not on physical media and also because I happen to like 3D). It just seems to me like there's no reason not to package the 4K and 3D together. It reduces the amount of SKUs you need to have, it works perfectly for those who are dual equipped and even if you don't want the 3D disc, well....many times you buy a UHD you're getting a Blu-ray Disc you already own. And it's not like the price of the UHD would go down if the Blu-Ray disc weren't included

I don't disagree with any of that, it's just not where they went. The extra Blu-ray disc costs 50 cents to press, it's not an outrageous expense to add to the package.

But I think they want the UHD to take over mainstream and expand beyond the niche audience of enthusiasts - whether or not it will is another question - and then you wind up with the people who don't want to pay for a disc they won't use. (Like when Criterion tried to eliminate separate BD and DVD releases by releasing only combo packs - the packaging got bigger and bulkier and included DVDs that Blu-ray fans were never going to touch, and for DVD fans, the price went up and included Blu-rays they were never going to touch. Everyone was unhappy and sales went down.)

Honestly, I think a lot of these home video choices are poorly conceived and are ultimately shortening the lifespan of physical media - which is still a revenue source for them. Even if it's not as lucrative as it once was, I wouldn't throw away a revenue source.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Honestly, I think a lot of these home video choices are poorly conceived and are ultimately shortening the lifespan of physical media - which is still a revenue source for them. Even if it's not as lucrative as it once was, I wouldn't throw away a revenue source.

Sadly, Disney in particular has assumed the "home run every time" philosophy with its theatrical movie slate, so it's doubtful that they would be interested in anything marginally profitable in its home video division. That's what makes many of us skeptical of the 20th Century Fox deal - Fox has a good mix of low and medium budget films in its program that will probably not see the light of day under Disney. Our only hope, Obi-Wan, is if Disney looks at Fox's broader range of product as additional filler for its upcoming proprietary streaming service.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sadly, Disney in particular has assumed the "home run every time" philosophy with its theatrical movie slate, so it's doubtful that they would be interested in anything marginally profitable in its home video division.

I agree that that's their philosophy.

I just don't get it.

The e-book has been around for what, 10 years? 15 years? 20 years? And yet, we still have paper books in addition to the electronic edition.

But that's why small labels have been springing up all over the place lately. There's a small group of enthusiasts still willing to pay for a physical product, and if the amount of profit they generate isn't enough to make major studios think its worth the effort at all, it's still enough income to cover a few salaries. I'm glad the smaller labels are around and doing this work, and I'm glad that they don't seem to be discouraged by the fact that they're not gonna get filthy rich doing releases of fifty year old movies on disc. If the bills are paid, and the product ships, and people like it, they seem happy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I thought the 3D was outstanding. Lots of depth, separation of objects and layering. And there were several effective moments when a character would reach out and that hand would come up to and just past the screen.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought the 3D was outstanding. Lots of depth, separation of objects and layering. And there were several effective moments when a character would reach out and that hand would come up to and just past the screen.

This really echoes what I just wrote in the 3D thread: impressions of 3D movies depend a lot on what the individual viewer wants from the format. One man's "awesome 3D' is another "meh"...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks